Monday, October 3, 2011

October 3 –“The one that got away”

 
 
I did another early morning wedding yesterday.  This one was for an older couple.  They knew each other back in junior high school.  They went their own separate ways, then rediscovered each other.  They didn't say how.  Probably on FacaBook.   They rented a beach house in Isla del Sol for the occasion. 
 
When I arrived one of their grandsons (he was about 12 years old) had one of those wide bladed snow shovels (or here in Galveston they are debris-clearing-after-a-hurricane shovels).  He was scraping an aisle in the sand for the bride and groom to walk down.  There weren't that many people there.  I think it was just their family. 
 
There was one older guy who turned out to be a brother of the bride.  He was also a retired photographer who agreed to shoot the ceremony.  He introduced himself to me and said, with a huge grin "I know your boss.  I've known him for years."  It's always great to have another Christian in the mix.  And from the responses of the people during the ceremony and in the interactions with the, one on one, it appeared that most of the ones there were believers as well.  It was a great way to start the day.
 
I took a risk at church and did an in-depth teaching on the beliefs of the old Babylonian magi caste.  They were a significant factor in the Ezra story we are studying, so I talked about how they fit in historically and how God used them as an integral part of the story of Christ's birth.  I get really interested in the way those kinds of things fit together and help explain the why behind events and decisions people made.  Hope I didn't bore too many listeners.  I did get some very positive feedback, though.
 
Last night I went over to my uncle's house and did some fishing.  He's on a canal in Spanish Grant.  It was a hugely successful day, but I did bring home three specs.  There were the usual hardhead catfish.  And I did hook what I'm pretty sure was a big stingray.  It fought just like one.  Pulled my line back under the boat dock and buried in.  Once he did that I couldn't get him to budge.  Ant time I made an inch or two of progress he was pull it back and settle in again.  He was finally able to break the line and escape.  Ah.  The proverbial one that got away.  Always makes for the best stories.
 
Proverbs 27:15-16 says, "A quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping on a rainy day; restraining her is like restraining the wind or grasping oil with the hand."
 
Father, thank you for the wife you gave me.  It is so much more refreshing to close your eyes and let the wind blow freely through your hair.  Amen.

No comments: