Friday, October 28, 2011

October 28 – “I love baseball ”

 
 
Ah.  I discovered once again last night why I love baseball so much.  I haven't been able to watch much of the World Series this year, though as usual, I have been keeping up with it through the newspapers.  As a die-hard Astros fan it us usually difficult to pick a team to actually root for when the World Series comes around.  Not often that the Astros are there.  Especially not lately.  Most of the time I simply choose the National League team, since they are the ones that play actual baseball during the year.  Not a big fan of the designated hitter.  I had another thing to consider this year, though.
 
Even during the season I found myself occasionally checking in on two other National League teams.  The Phillies and the Cardinals.  It wasn't because of all-time greats like Stan Musial or Steve Carlton or Dizzy Dean, though they were indeed great players.  It was connections of sorts that drew me their way, though.  Past connections with Roy Oswalt and Hunter Pence and Lance Berkman.  Yep.  Ex-Astros.
 
But on the other hand, I had a connection with the Rangers as well.  After all, I lived for several years in the Arlington area, and you can't help but have some kind of regard for the local team.  And that's not to mention that their new owner is Nolan Ryan.  An ex-Astro. 
 
Hence my dilemma.  Root for Lance Berkman and his Cardinals.  Lance is Mom's second favorite player (next to Hunter Pence).  He's also a Christian and a very funny guy in interviews.  On the negative side, the Cardinals also have famed Astro-killer Luis Pujols in their midst.  Or root for Nolan Ryan, Kel's all-time favorite player, and his Rangers.  They also have Josh Hamilton, a great player who is also a Christian.  Of course they are still American League.  That's a tough hurdle to get over. 
 
After struggling with it for a while (not very long, actually.  Too much else going on to expend much energy), I finally came to the realization that there is no struggle.  The bottom line was, I don't care which team wins.  If the Rangers win for Nolan, they will have their first ever title.  Good for them.  It's always fun when the underdogs come through.  If the Cardinals win, Lance has already proven himself to be the best hitter in the whole series, so he should get the MVP award.  Good for him.  And the one game I did get to watch – last night – was an eleven inning thriller.  I love baseball.
 
Proverbs 29:26 says, "Many seek an audience with a ruler, but it is from the Lord that man gets justice."
 
Father, thank you for the Lance Berkman's and Josh Hamilton's of the world, who have discovered what really matters more than hits and home runs is a relationship with you.  Amen.

No comments: