Thursday, September 8, 2011

September 8 – “Fatal error during installation”

 
 
Yesterday was one of those confusing, confounding computer days. 
 
I decided to download the software to my printer.  It was working through the windows commands somehow, but all of the functions were not enabled.  It wasn't set up to fax anything, and the one thing I used a lot was not there either.  I often copy from a document to Microsoft Word so I can then adjust the text and use it in teachings and other things.  It makes using quotations much easier than having to type out every word. 
 
When we got the printer back in Windows XP days, all we had to do was plug it into the computer and the software loaded itself.  I guess Windows 7 has other ideas.  It can do the operations all by itself, its own way, and it doesn't want any help.  Wait a minute.  What is this, a two-year-old whining to Mommy?
 
Anyway, I found the appropriate website and began the download.  Thirty five minutes later it was finally complete.  Or so I thought.  When I checked it, there was one of those dreaded message windows that read something along the lines of "Fatal error during installation."  Of course it also said all I had to do was follow their instructions and everything would be fine.  I should have expected something bad was afoot. 
 
I did indeed follow the instructions to the letter.  And about three hours later the next step was: "Uninstall the program and download it over again."  That was a chore in itself, because there were numerous bonus programs installed as well.  I finally found a command that included everything and hit it.  How come it didn't take near as long to uninstall as it did to install? 
 
The new download took another 35 minutes.  And as it was installing I stuck around this time.  It got almost to the very end of the install and the same error message popped up: "Fatal error during installation."  That did it.  No more today.  In fact I was ready to just forget about the whole thing.  Then, on a whim, I opened the software that had been downloaded.  It indicated that the computer couldn't find the printer.  Again, on a whim, I pushed the command to scan just to see what would happen.  It took a few seconds, but the printer kicked ion and performed the function fine.  I checked a few other functions.  They all seemed to work.  The only thing missing was the direct connection to Microsoft Word.  But all I had to do was copy the text I wanted to use and paste it over to the Word document.  Not a problem.  I think I'm done with that download.  We'll just let the computer stay in the dark and think it can't find the printer.  I guess it's on a need-to-know basis, and the computer doesn't need to know.
 
Proverbs 25:20 says, "Like one who takes away a garment on a cold day, or like vinegar poured on soda, is one who sings songs to a heavy heart."
 
Father, thank you for the songs that you place in my heart when it feels heaviest.  Amen.

No comments: