Friday, September 2, 2011

September 2 – “The Princess One”

 
 
Not much to write about today.  We had Cailyn around the house, so I did a lot of helping Chris out by entertaining the little one so Chris could water the grass or clean house.  It was a sacrifice, but someone had to do it.  We did take a boatload of curriculum up to the school.  It had been delivered to our house.  And we followed that up with a trip to WalMart to stock up for the upcoming visit by Josh and his family.  And the trip to WalMart ultimately resulted in the Cailyn observation of the day.
 
I was impressed once again by Cailyn's imagination.  We were sitting at the table while she was eating some "Princess yogurt."  Yogurt is nasty in just about any form as far as I'm concerned, but she seemed very excited when we passed by that section at WalMart.  She was initially interested in the "Dora yogurt" with a picture of the cartoon explorer icon on it.  Until she saw – right next to Dora – a package of the same stuff, except with assorted Disney princesses on them.  Her eyes lit up.  Her finger pointed from within the boundaries of the shopping cart.  Her heart pounded.  She finally managed to blurt out, "The princess one.  The princess one.  I want it."  Needless to say, she got the princess one.
 
Now back to the table.  She was chowing down on a tub of princess yogurt.  I was sitting with her trying not to gag.  Between bites she noticed the picture on her place mat, a Sesame Street scene.  She got my attention.  And she proceeded to explain who each of the characters in the picture was.  The little girl (I don't know her screen name) was Cailyn.  Big Bird was, of course, DadDad.  I wasn't sure if that was positive or not.  Snuffulapagus (or however you spell that) turned out to be Nani.  Sorry, Chris.  Bert was none other than her Daddy.  Nathan, I'm sure it was because of his lean, mean body build.  Now April, I couldn't quite figure out why you ranked this designation, but Mommy was none other than Ernie.  I guess because of his close association with Bert.  That only left two characters in the picture.  The first was a bit of a struggle for her, but Oscar the Grouch became "My Monster."  I guess that meant she has a pet monster at home.  It wasn't any of her regular pets, Scooter or Abby the dogs, Purple the fish, or Mo the guinea pig.  He was just "My Monster."  That left just one.  By this time I was totally intrigued.  I couldn't wait to see who would become that final furry blue creature – Cookie Monster.  And boy did Cailyn ever come through.  Cookie Monster was none other than that real life ravenous consumer of bakery delights – MoeMoe (AKA My Mom).  Perfect. 
 
Proverbs 25:6-7 says, "Do not exalt yourself in the king's presence, and do not claim a place among great men; it is better for him to say to you, "Come up here," than for him to humiliate you before a nobleman."
 
Father, thank you for the simple joy of imagination.  Amen.

No comments: