Wednesday, September 28, 2011

September 28 – “One of those rare cases”

 
 
I had my latest appointment with the rheumatologist yesterday.  I never know quite what to expect from that guy.  He was in teacher mode this time.  Three students at Baylor College of Medicine were assigned to follow him around and see how he does what he does.  At least when he has students he is much more thorough with the exam.  He checks the joints in my toes as well as my hands.  He hits my knees with a hammer.  He pokes on my innards to see if they are all there.  He listens to my breath sounds and heart. 
 
And he does it all while talking pretty much non-stop.  He is a funny guy anyway.  Always wears a little bow tie.  Chris said it was kind of poofy yesterday.  Not sure what that means, but I don't usually notice any specifics anyway.  He usually asks me about the Astros, but I guess he's embarrassed for anyone to know he still follows them.  His "casual questions" were different.  He asked what I have been doing for fun.  Took me off guard.  Chris reminded me about fishing, so we went there for a minute or two.  Then he asked if we had done any traveling.  I mentioned our trip to Lingleville, and he was mystified.  I finally realized that he must be teaching two of the "recommended questions for setting the patient at ease during the visit." 
 
When he got to the point of his summary of the case, he described me as "one of those rare cases where sulfasalazine seems to actually be working."  I guess that means I'm doing as well as can be expected.  The pain doesn't seem to be any worse (except when the weather changes).  It's hard to consciously separate the kind of things the neurologist wants to hear from what the rheumatologist wants to hear.  Unless it's clearly nerve pain.  That much I have a handle on.  It's the muscle aches that accompany both that give me a hard time identifying.
 
But he ordered the usual blood test to make sure my liver still works.  I go back in three months for another blood test and six months for another checkup.  "Unless it gets worse, of course."  Had to add that to show how you remain always available to the patient.
 
Proverbs 27:7 says, "He who is full loathes honey, but to the hungry even what is bitter tastes sweet."
 
Father, thank you for being the Always Available Great Physician.  Amen.

No comments: