Wednesday, September 14, 2011

September 14 – “I want the big ones”

 
 
Well, I must stand corrected on a few points of my post yesterday.  Chris read it and filled me in on some details that I didn't get exactly right.  It seems that the chairs being lined up by Cailyn and Boy in their playtime were not the little rocking chairs like I thought.  They were the full sized dining room table chairs.  Cailyn pushed them behind the couch and arranged them like a train.  She told Chris to sit down so they could go to WalMart, but Chris inadvertently tried to sit in the chair already occupied by Boy.  My mistake.  Oh, and come to find out, Nathan did have an imaginary friend after all.  It's just that his name was so complicated and random that Chris couldn't even remember it.  I have a hard enough time trying to remember people's names that I have known for years.  Cailyn is due to come over again today.  Wonder if Boy will come with her.  Or if he has actually been here all along … hiding … just waiting for an opportunity to creep into the life of yet another Vaughan child.  Sounds like a fun life, Boy.
 
Speaking of Cailyn, she has learned one significant lesson in her young two and a half years of life.  Money speaks.  She came into the office where I was working and asked for some "bunny."  At least that's what I heard.  Fortunately her translator, Chris, was with her.  She saw the look of consternation on my face and quickly told me that meant "money."  How cute.  Of course I gave Cailyn two pennies from my stack of change.  I read somewhere that when kids are little like that, it is best to give them things in the same number as their age.  Like invite two kids to a two-year-old's birthday party (which I have never seen done, by the way.  How can the kid get all those cool presents if only two friends get invited?).  Sure enough she was happy with the number of items.  But she wasn't completely satisfied with the pennies.  So she looked up at me with those gorgeous brown eyes and said, "I want the big ones, DadDad."  She wanted one of the big ones.  So I gave her a nickel.  Now she had three items, and one of them was obvious bigger.  Nice.  She put it in her purse and ran over to tell Chris all about it.  A few minutes later she picked up one of the papers from my desk.  I stood up and asked her to give it back to me.  She dropped it on the floor.  I asked her to pick it up and hand it to me.  She walked away.  I told her "If that's the way it's going to be, then I want my money back."  Immediately she picked it up and brought it over to me.  Wonder what it's going to be like when she discovers the "big money" made of paper.  Or worse … that amazing invention called the credit card.  Are you ready for that, Nathan and April?
 
Proverbs 25:26 says, "Like a muddied spring or a polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked."
 
Father, guide our children as they guide their children.  Amen

No comments: