Monday, September 26, 2011

September 26 – “The Valley of illness”

 
 
Final entry today about the funeral.  Actually it's not about the funeral so much as about me during the funeral.  It all began sometime close to 4 a.m. that morning.  I woke up with some really bad stomach cramps, so I grabbed my crossword puzzle book and headed to the bathroom, being as quiet as I could so I wouldn't wake up Chris.  Not much happened other than the pain (and completing a puzzle or two).  I finally took a hot shower to try to relax. 
 
Around 7 I started to work on my journal, only to be interrupted after about a paragraph.  This time things were, how shall I say, a bit more productive, and the pain finally started easing up.  Good thing.  By then it was time to begin our quest for Lingleville and the funeral service. 

We found the place easily enough.  Pretty much a straight shot from Stephenville.  We had been invited to the pre-service meal provided by the church for the family.  I hesitantly ate a small amount of some of the blander options on the spread.  I did splurge on a piece of homemade chocolate pie, though.  That turned out to be a big mistake.  I don't know if it was the pie or the fact that I had put food in general in my stomach, but just before the funeral started I had to leave as solemnly as I could and get to the bathroom, which by the way was in another building.   I came back, then had to leave again.  I was finally able to get back for most of my friend's sermon.  But by then I had determined to give up eating, at least for the day.
 
We didn't go to the burial site, though I really wanted to.  They have a family cemetery, and part of their family tradition is that during the graveside service they actually dig the grave themselves.  Apparently everyone brings a shovel and pitches in.  Fascinating ritual.  And I think it would be very good for closure as well.
 
I made it all the way home without any more trouble.  I had a Dairy Queen chocolate milkshake for supper.  Collapsed into bed, hoping for a good night's sleep to let my body recharge.  I guess that was happening until about 3:30 a.m.   Another trip to bathroom.  And again at 5.  Not as bad.  I got started on my journal again and again had to stop.  I was worried that this could go on all day.  But it was Sunday and we had church.  And our mini-mission trip to LaMarque.  Great. 
 
As has happened more times than I can remember, however, God came through with enough healing power and energy to get me through the day.  This morning I feel tired and sore all over, but I ate a sandwich or two yesterday with no ill effects.  Things are certainly looking up.
 
Proverbs 27:2 says, "Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; someone else, and not your own lips."
 
Father, thank you for walking with me once again through the valley of illness.  Amen.

No comments: