Saturday, September 10, 2011

September 10 – “Volleyball in the cold”

 
 
Yesterday seemed dangerously close to a real day off for me.  As far as I can recall (which, I admit, is not all that far these days), I didn't do anything that I could remotely consider work, other than respond to numerous emails.  I did attend the volleyball game of one of our students at Seaside.
 
O'Connell High School was playing against none other than CHSA, the home school sports organization our boys played basketball with and I coached for back in the day.  The first game was a real nail-biter, but CHSA pulled it out.  By the end of the game I joined several other spectators as we searched for some spot in the stands that wasn't freezing cold.  I must say that the new air conditioner works well.  I think they got a brand new gym makeover from the Houston Rockets after Hurricane Ike. 
 
The second game of the match was just as close, but this time O'Connell came out on top.  Our girl Jennifer was really good.  She smashed a few down on the heads of the other team.  O'Connell won the third game as well, so I got up to leave.  But the players stayed on the court.  There would be another game.  OK.  I know very little about volleyball.  I assume that a match is the best three out of five.  I still don't know for sure.  I had to leave to get home in time for Life Group that meets at our house. 
 
We had Cailyn for awhile yesterday.  She was wearing a cute little denim overalls shorts set – the kind with straps that go over the shoulders and buckle in front.  Wow.  That sounded like some kind of beauty pageant announcer.  It's not like I know all that clothing stuff.  They looked like blue jeans.  The funny thing about it came when Cailyn told Chris she needed some help with her bra.  Makes sense I guess. 
 
She joined the ranks of superheroes today.  Cailyn, I mean.  Chris has been more than a super hero in my eyes for years.  The classic towel around the neck trick.  She flew around the house for fifteen or twenty minutes.  I'm pretty sure her feet left the ground.  And the debris in the path of her super-speed wake was substantial. 
 
Proverbs 25:23 says, "As a north wind brings rain, so a sly tongue brings angry looks."
 
Father, the north wind you sent us really cooled things down.  Now could you please bring us some of that rain as well?  Protect the firefighters in the big fires all over Texas.  Amen.

No comments: