Wednesday, September 7, 2011

September 7 – “On coupons”

 
 
What's the best coupon offer you have ever had?
 
Chris is the coupon clipper in our family, but for some reason I receive offers every now and then, usually in the mail, that I hang on to.  Much of the time I never get around to using them, but it seems like a good idea at the time to save them. 
 
One that I have in my stack came from AT&T.  It is an offer for 25% off if we will buy an accessory of our choice from the AT&T phone store.  Now, this one wasn't random.  We only got it after we spent a bundle on our iphones.  In that perspective 25% sure doesn't seem like a lot any more, especially for an accessory.  But we were looking for a cable that connects the iphone to the TV.  Maybe they have something like that.  Palais Royal is another place that always has some percent off, usually around 25%.  In fact most of the times we have been in there, something has been at least 25% off.  Tells me something about the regular markup at Palais Royal, I guess.
 
But Palais Royal does have one thing that I like, and I use it every year.  Every July I get a letter from them telling me Happy Birthday.  My birthday is in August, so they are usually the first to send me best wishes.  Along with the card is a certificate for $10 off of any purchase.  That's it.  $10 off.  No strings attached other than I can't just cash it in.  I usually wait for that one to buy a new pair of Nikes every year.  This year I went in to get my new shoes.  I presented one of the 25% coupons.  Then I handed the clerk the $10 birthday card.  And the computer refused to accept it.  The clerk called for a manager who informed me that I couldn't use two coupons in the same transaction.  Pointing to the birthday card, I said (with a straight face) in my best, most innocent-sounding voice, "But this isn't a coupon.  It's a birthday present."  He laughed out loud.  And overrode the computer.  I got my $10 off.  And a nice new pair of Nikes for around $20.
 
Office Depot sends stuff all the time for $15 off but you have to spend $75 for it to be any good.  And the list of exclusions is outrageous.  About the only thing you can buy is school supplies.
 
I like the survey offers.  McAlister's Deli and IHOP are good for those.  If you go online and fill out a survey about your visit they will give you $3 off your next check (at McAlister's) or a free short stack of pancakes (at IHOP).  Since I usually order a short stack of pancakes at IHOP, that's not a bad deal for me.
 
My all-time favorite coupon deal, however, has to be from Academy.  Every so often, for no apparent reason, they send a coupon good for $10 in merchandise.  No real strings attached other than it can't be used for certain name brand items.  And if your purchase doesn't equal $10, you get a gift card for the difference.  I have one of those right now.  Time to stock up on some fishing gear. 
 
Proverbs 25:19 says, "Like a bad tooth or a lame foot is reliance on the unfaithful in times of trouble."
 
Father, thank you for being someone I can rely on no matter what.  Be that to the folks facing the fires right now.  Amen.

No comments: