Sunday, September 18, 2011

September 18 – “Even the house?”

 
 
I did a wedding last night.  It took place at the gazebo in front of the San Luis hotel.  It was one of those where the couple was already married, but they wanted to do the whole public ceremony in front of God and everybody.  I always wonder what the people are thinking in those situations.  Not just the bride and groom, but their families and friends as well.  I got a brief glimpse into the heart of the bride's Dad.  He was kind of feeling like the odd man out at the rehearsal.  He was going to walk his daughter down the aisle, but he had obviously not been included in many of the preparations.  Then last night at the wedding itself he showed up in a full tux with tails.  The groom was just wearing an untucked shirt and slacks, so that made him really stand out.  He and I had a few minutes to talk before the ceremony began, and I told him he looked really sharp.  His reply was, "I have waited all my life to walk her down the aisle like this.  I don't even care what they are wearing.  I'm fulfilling a dream here."  Good for you, Dad.
 
The groom was a helicopter pilot who proved himself to be a big jokester at the rehearsal.  Everything was funny to him.  He even had most of the wedding party lined up to roll down the hill at the hotel before the wedding coordinator realized what was up and quickly put a stop to that idea.  At the end of the hill was a sheer drop of about ten feet to the lower level of the parking garage.  He was quite disappointed.  At the ceremony I was ready for anything from him.
 
Sure enough, during the vows he started laughing.  At first I thought he was treating the whole thing like a joke, but then I realized that he was laughing to cover up the fact that he was actually incredibly choked up.  He was crying like a baby.   The bride even reached over and gently dabbed his eyes with as Kleenex.  He finally gathered himself enough to make it through.  The big-hearted softie.  The bride had this to say about him, "Why would I not want to marry my best friend?" 
 
By the time we reached the ring part of the ceremony the goofy big guy was back.  The last phrase of the ring vows says, "and all that I have, I share with you."  He looked into his bride's eyes, started to say it, then stopped.  He turned to me and said, "Even the house?"  The whole place cracked up, bride included.  He finally got it out, and the rest of the service went by without a hitch.  I'm sure that was one wild and crazy reception. 
 
Proverbs 26:4 says, "Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will be like him yourself."
 
Father, be with that couple from last night.  Draw them to yourself so they will understand what really matters.  Amen.

No comments: