Friday, November 20, 2009

November 20 – “A Christmas Cat Tree”

 

This morning we left early for Mom's doctor's appointment in Houston.  It was supposed to be just a review of a test she had a few months ago.  We couldn't make the follow up appointment back then, and this was the earliest next available.  As it turned out we had to stay in Houston for a few hours more than we planned.  He wanted to do an MRI to compare to the one he did back two years ago.  He thinks she might have had a very minor stroke that affected her language center, making it hard for her to come up with the word she's looking for sometimes.  Otherwise she seems to be doing great.  He was very pleased.

 

On the way home we stopped by my aunt's house in League City.  She had talked to Chris awhile back and invited us to come over.  She had a box of Christmas ornaments for us.  This year every single ornament on her overloaded tree has a cat on it.  A Christmas cat tree.  It was frightening.

 

When we left there we made a stop at the WalMart on 646.  We were hoping by some chance they would have two more barstools that matched the ones we got the other day.  To our surprise they did.  We now have four barstools that Chris really likes just, in time to host her family – and anyone else who wants to come over – for Thanksgiving.  I got them put together without too much trouble.  Did it while watching a schmaltzy Santa Claus movie on TV.  Multi-tasking.

 

This afternoon I officially felt the presence of the "tiny little dose" of steroids I have been taking.  Sadly, it wasn't an incredible burst of energy that enabled me to do astonishing feats of strength.  Instead it was … hot flashes.  I remember them well from the last time.  Back then they were accompanied by the energy as well as an uncanny "ability" to stay awake for hours on end.  That hasn't happened yet.  And my "benchmark" for this joint pain ordeal – my left elbow – is most definitely still in pain.  My fingers seem to be some better.  At least they aren't as swollen.  

 

We have a problem with our new refrigerator.  It seems that the freezer only comes on when the door is open.  At least that was true for all of yesterday.  I called Sears from the car and arranged for us to return it and exchange it for another one.  They said there would be no problems.  I planned to do that probably on Monday if my sons can help again.  But this evening when I checked it out, it actually seems to be working.  The water we put in the freezer is frozen for the first time, and the bread in there is almost frozen as well.  Not sure what to do now.  At least it will work to hold turkeys while we wait to fry them.

 

Psalms 112:1-2 says, "Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who finds great delight in his commands.  2 His children will be mighty in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed."

 

Father, I want my children to be mighty blessed.  Teach me to fear you.  Help me obey your commands and not worry about the desires of men.  Amen. 


No comments: