Sunday, November 1, 2009

November 1 – “Steak”

 

Church today went pretty well.  We had some visitors from all over again.  One couple from Waco came up to me afterward and prayed for me.  It was one of the best prayers I have ever heard … and it was for me.  That was encouraging.  Especially since we had a discernment meeting right after that.  We discussed lowering our building insurance, since we discovered we were way over-insured.  We did that, but then the discussion gradually slipped to where the atmosphere was bordering on testy.  It was a shame, because everybody wanted the same thing ultimately – first, for God to be glorified, then for us to be about doing what we were called as Christians to do – lead lost people to Jesus - and finally, for us to be responsible stewards of his money.  Different people had different ideas on how that should happen.  And still do.  And that's OK.  It took less than an hour, and we finally came to some agreement on specific actions we could take to begin to solve the concerns.  I'm happy to have folks to watch over things like finances and insurances.  I just really want all of us to stand unified before God in what we do.  So much has changed about Galveston.  Nothing is the same as it was before Hurricane Ike.  The stress has hit people in different ways and at different times.  Seaside lost some families who simply didn't return after the storm.  Our school enrollment went from 21 to 7.  Some of the people who have been worshipping with us since the storm are hesitant to commit totally to anything, sensing the stress of the unknown.  The folks there today seemed ready to become the nucleus of a "new reality" at Seaside.  I just pray that the One who has already won the war will be victorious in this little battle as well.  Satan has won enough in Galveston.  It's time for Jesus to have his day.

 

We had lunch at Happy Buddha.  Yep, that's Chinese food.  I ordered the only American thing on the menu - a steak.  It was not bad, but it was cooked rare and I ordered medium.  I'll just microwave the piece I brought home in my doggie bag a little longer than usual.  That is if it doesn't touch the Chinese chicken stuff Chris brought home that tastes like dessert.  It's actually not bad, but not until you eat real food first.

 

The bride and groom of the wedding we went to last night came over and spent the afternoon with us.  It was a lot of fun to see and hear their giddiness.  They leave for a honeymoon road trip in the morning, and they haven't even decided where they are going.  That's going to be fun.  I think I'll recommend that for our next vacation, whenever that will be.

 

In John 17:20-23 Jesus says, "My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: 23 I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me."

 

Father, you have given us that gift of unity.  Help us act like it.  Amen.


No comments: