Monday, November 16, 2009

November 16 – “Turkey Trips”

 

It felt kind of strange this morning to get up in plenty of time to get to school by 7:20, but not have to.  I haven't been able to begin work on a teaching for Sunday on the Monday before in a long time.  I have missed the preparation time – praying for Seaside people, reading background, looking for where God is at work in the area he's leading me to teach.  I'm looking forward to this week. 

 

My stomach has been giving me fits today.  I have spent a lot of time in the bathroom as a result.  I even left a crossword puzzle book in there to give me something to do.  I enjoy crossword puzzles.  But not if they are those really easy ones.  I like the challenging kind and the theme kind where two or three of the words have something in common.

 

During one of my stomach's lax times, I went to the WalMart one hour studio to get some photos printed for the kids at Seaside Christian Academy.  They are from when the fireman and his Dalmatian came to visit.  Then I headed over to get a haircut.  But the haircut place didn't open until 10:00.  Do you still call it a barber shop?  This one is a national chain, but when I get my receipt back it says the place is owned by the Viking Sisters.  That kind of scares me. 

 

So I went back to WalMart and bought two turkeys.  We plan to fry turkeys for Thanksgiving.  We try to do that every year now.  Ever since Chris tasted her first fired turkey with Alex McLaughlin's secret basting recipe, she refuses to bake a turkey ever again.  In fact we usually fry up several and freeze the meat to use in recipes throughout the year.  Well, WalMart had no more of the 60 cents a pound off brand turkeys.  The only kind left was Butterball – 98 cents a pound.  That turkey better taste 38 cents a pound better than the other two we had in the freezer.

 

On the way home I texted Chris to see if six turkeys would be enough.  Her answer?  "How about eight?"  I had to go back and pick up the photos anyway, so I put it on my list.  I did finally work in a haircut during business hours.  I was excited when I went to pay.  Their senior citizen rates start at 55 years old.  I saved two dollars just by being old.  Then just as she ran my credit card through the machine, all the power went out in the whole area.  It came back on fairly quickly, but I wondered if that was some kind of weird omen about my future of getting benefits as an old guy.  I made the quick swing back by WalMart to get the photos and two more Butterball turkeys.  The pictures came out good.  Hope the kids like them. 

 

Mom and I went to McAlister's for lunch.  I found a coupon for three dollars off if we used it by today.  My turkey melt was really good, but guess where I spent the next few hours off and on?  I wonder when Chris will be home.  Although she's not one to pamper.  Her nurse persona kicks in and she is all business.  I miss her.

 

Psalms 145:1-2 says, "I will exalt you, my God the King; I will praise your name forever and ever.  2 Every day I will praise you and extol your name forever and ever."

 

Father, thank you for this particular Monday.  I have needed one just like it for awhile.  Amen.


No comments: