Thursday, November 12, 2009

November 12 – “A New Toy”

 

I have a new toy to play with.  This morning we went to Houston to get my new hearing aids adjusted.  I guess officially it was my "two week checkup."  But the exciting thing is, she activated the bells and whistles.  Well, at least some of them.  I now have a volume control switch.  That's one I've been waiting for.  If I'm going to wear a top secret mini-amplifier in my ear, I want to be able to use the thing for covert activities. 

 

The "Mode" switch is my favorite, though.  When I push it, it beeps twice and enters "restaurant mode."  I'm not sure what exactly it has been programmed to do, but I tried it out on the way home when we stopped to eat.  The difference was like night and day from two weeks ago when we stopped right after I got them.  I could hear Chris when she talked in a normal voice, and the background noise didn't destroy my head. 

 

Then if I push it again, it beeps three times and enters "Traffic Mode."  That one is not too much different from normal.  It seems to take out some of the whooshing from wind blowing through the tiny crack in the window, and the humming from the tires on the road.  Again, I could pretty much hear Chris without her screaming at me.  I stayed awake a little longer than I usually do in the car.  I realized Chris was carrying on a conversation with me.  Wonder how many of those I have missed?

 

The final mode is called "Normal."  That's when it only beeps once and settles into what the computer has determined is my "normal assist need" for hearing.  I can still make the "Robot Ear" sound just by holding my hand near my ear, but it is not as loud.  And, I can get closer before the alarm goes off.  It's enough to bother the dogs and amaze the grandkids, though.

 

Psalms 89:15-17 says, "15 Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence, O Lord.  16 They rejoice in your name all day long; they exult in your righteousness.  17 For you are their glory and strength"

 

Father, teach me to acclaim, walk, rejoice, and exult.  That's some pretty big words.  Amen.


1 comment:

fancynancykay said...

Do you know if yours will beep when the battery starts running out? Mine does that - the first time it did that, I was sitting on the piano bench at Langwood, playing an offertory... nearly jumped outta my skin, lol!!!!

The bionic ears are a wonderful invention and for me, such a blessing from God! They DO take an adjustment period, but once you do adjust, you'll hear all sorts of things - very, very cool! (I also love that when I go into the cafeteria at school, I can simply ++turn+them+off++, ahhhhhhhh.)