Thursday, November 19, 2009

November 19 – “Pea Patrol”

 

I went back to school today.  After the concern expressed yesterday by the new headmaster, I decided I really had no choice.  We went into the office almost as soon as I got there.  He seemed a little less stressed than yesterday, but still determined not to stick around to supervise the afternoon session.  I told him I would stay today.  Tomorrow is a half day anyway for the Thanksgiving break, so this gives us a week to see what we can do.  I told him to work on getting some teachers who will work for a per class stipend, maybe Spanish or Sign language to start with.  I will talk to the school board about rearranging salary money.  He offered to give up a substantial portion of his salary to help pay the new teachers.  He said if we do get stipends approved, the first one should go to the Bible teacher.  I wholeheartedly agree. 

 

I overheard one of the math classes talking today.  Seems that our new headmaster was a hippie in his younger days.  This guy shows more and more promise every day.

 

I heard another anecdote from the kindergarten class.  One of the little guys brought a full lunch – including peas.  But he apparently didn't like peas.  And he had some delectable snacks as well.  The problem was, he also had instructions not to eat the snacks until he had finished his lunch. 

 

So … he started hiding peas – one pea at a time – around the room.  The teacher went to the door to answer a question from another student.  While her back was turned, our little guy dumped what was left of his peas, along with the better part of his lunch, into the nearest trash can.  When the teacher turned back around, she immediately noticed and asked where his lunch was.  He sure didn't know.  So the teacher called out to one of the older students: "Come on, you are now on Pea Patrol.  We're going on pea patrol, and we're going on a pea hunt."

 

Knowing he was about to be found out, our little pea avoider cried out, "Don't look in the trash can.  It's yuckie in there!"  I imagine so.

 

Psalms 89:15-16 says, "Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence, O Lord.  16 They rejoice in your name all day long."

 

Father, let me feel the light of your presence.  I just want to be sure I'm walking in the right direction.


No comments: