Tuesday, July 7, 2009

July 7 – “Distracted Again”

 

 

Today was a perfect example of my tendency to get distracted when there is so much to do.  I've always been that way.  I'll get started on one project, and as I do it, I see something else that needs to be done.  So I switch.  Sometimes I even forget to go back to the first thing until much later.  That's when I get frustrated.

 

Today I intended to finish backing up the pictures in our somewhat unstable desktop computer.  I got started early because I was putting them on regular CD's.  It was taking a long time.  I started getting bored early on in the process, so when I walked past the back door and saw our old bed, I couldn't resist.  I went out just to check on it.  That meant I needed to find the cleaning supplies.  That led to cleaning off the dirty cleaning supply bucket and everything in it.  While I did that it started raining, so I had to stop and put a tarp back over the other bed frame we're trying to save.  Which caused me to see that the rain was accumulating in two spots where it never has before.  I realized that I had to move some fishing equipment so the water could run off properly.  But when I looked to the other side I saw that the water was blocked by a pile of wood and it was making its way right toward the stuff under the tarp.  So I had to find another piece of wood and use it to redirect the water to the grass.  I returned to cleaning the bed frame and got it mostly done.  But then the rain stopped and I remembered Chris had seen some poison ivy growing on the fence.  So I went over to pull it out.  Chris saw me through the window and brought a garbage bag.  It was a shame to waste a whole bag, so we kept on pulling weeds and filled up two.  By that time it was time to shower and head for Luby's. 

 

When we got there we saw Mr. Polly, one of the teachers at Seaside Christian Academy.  He told me he was coming back next year.  Social studies is now covered.  After lunch we stopped at Randall's to pick up some medication, got some gas, and picked up some of the right kind of dvd's. 

 

We got home and I returned to backing up pictures.  But we got a call that the drawer pulls and cabinet knobs were in for our non-Amish cabinets.  So we went to get them.  Which meant we had to install them.  That's when we discovered that the bolt was too short.  So I went back and got longer ones.  And they were still too short.  So I went back for some longer ones.  They were just a little bit too long, but we're sticking with them.  The hardware is installed, but don't look too closely at them.

 

I returned to the bed salvage operation after starting another cd on the computer.  The "right" dvd didn't work either.  I glued on the piece of the bed we found, and doused the headboard with Old English polish.  It looks a lot better than it did. 

Psalms 33:18 says, "But the eyes of the Lord are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love."

 

Father, I know I'm easily distracted.  Thank you for not being like that.  Amen.


No comments: