Friday, July 31, 2009

July 31 – “A Yellowjacket”

 

We made a trip to Home Depot this morning.  We got sandpaper, oil-based primer, some new knobs for our new TV stand, and a strip of molding to do some outside repair work on the screens that provide ventilation in the eaves.  They didn't have any screen material, though, so we went to McCoy's.  They didn't have the specific stuff, but they had some that I think I can make work.

 

We also stopped by the mattress store.  I told that guy I would be back with my wife, so I didn't want to be a liar.  We got the lecture on all the different types of mattresses and box springs.  Firm.  Plush.  Soft.  Pillow top.  We decided to go by Terri's and check out the mattress and box spring we have there that someone gave us.  Maybe it's good enough to use for the yellow room.  We'll add that to our list for tomorrow.  I have to go to an interview for a potential headmaster, and Chris has to clean the church, so we'll be in the area anyway.  We do have to be back home around noon, though.  Cailyn is coming over and may stay with us while mom and dad go to a wedding.

 

I spent a good part of the day filling holes.  I used that painter's putty to cover nails so we can paint over them.  Then something happened.  I noticed the yellowjacket.  I am highly allergic to yellowjacket stings, so whenever I see one I give him a very large area of personal space.  As I reached up to cover one of the nails near the roof, there he was, crawling into a hole.  I know he was scoping it out.  He was probably a real estate agent inspecting possible homesteads for small yellow and black evil creatures.  When he finally flew away to tell his wife and kids about their new home, I jumped right in and filled it up with putty.  Stay away yellowjackets.

 

Nathan and April and Cailyn got back home from a trip to Corpus Christi to see her other grandfather and her great grandparents.  They said she didn't want them to hold her at all.  I think she just missed old DadDad.  She came in shyly, but before long she was playing with some of the stuffed animals we salvaged after the storm that her Daddy played with as a kid.  One was a really big dog.  She loved it.  She pulled herself up on it and buried her face in it.

 

Tonight we took Kel's lawn mower back to him.  I'm not sure if he wanted it or not.  But Christina sure did.  Sometimes someone close to us knows what we need better than we do. 

 

Ephesians 4:2-3 says, "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 3 Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace."

 

Father, thank you for protecting me from that yellowjacket.  Amen.


No comments: