Thursday, July 23, 2009

July 23 – “Postponed”

 

I had an interview this morning with a prospective teacher for Seaside Christian Academy.  She was 70 years old (she offered that tidbit of information – I didn't ask) and a ball of fire.   She has written songs and taught elementary school in the "rural" part of North Carolina.  She was even interested in playing keyboard for Seaside on Sunday mornings.  I told her to come on this week and meet our worship pastor.  Now all we need is a young drummer and we will have the most incredibly diverse praise team in Galveston.

After the interview I began going through all the school curriculum from years past.  I knew we had the teacher's materials.  I just needed to see if we had students' books, or if I was going to have to order everything.  Now that I have a list I can compare it with the enrollment and take it to the online catalogue and actually do some ordering.

 

During the interview Chris was cleaning up the church.  We decided on the way home to go to McAlister's Deli for some lunch.  About that time I got a text from Kel.  Today was free tea day at McAlister's.  Great choice.  The girl who took our order remembered that Chris likes lemon in her root beer.  I had tea and two refills.  We stopped in at WalMart.  I had to get a Bible for a young second grader being tutored by one of our older students at Seaside.  From there Chris took me for a ride to a second-hand store.  We are beginning to look for more furniture.  We don't have any place to put the stuff we are unpacking.  Chris figured out today that the stuff we are coming across now was displayed on shelves we had put up over the doors … up high … away from the flood waters.  And the shelves are no longer there.  We don't want to just run to WalMart and get some cheap stuff there.  So we're going to check out second-hand stores and garage sales and get cheap stuff there.  Go figure.

 

When we got home I dove into getting ready for the school board meeting tonight.  This is most definitely a never-ending job.  It's like being in the ministry – there's always something else to do, so you never feel quite "finished."  I asked my secretary to contact some of the prospective teachers for me.  I emailed some others and called a few.  I pulled together my part of the agenda.  Just as I was putting my files into my briefcase to leave, the phone rang.  The meeting had been postponed because several members were recovering from the flu.  Now I have time to start on the personnel manual before the next meeting.  Woo Hoo!

 

Proverbs 3:1-2 says, "My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, 2 for they will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity."

 

Father, I know living spiritually forever is tied to obeying you, but is physical long life and physical prosperity part of that as well?  Amen.


No comments: