Tuesday, July 21, 2009

July 21 – “Twisted Rails”

 

Chris is gone today.  And probably most of tomorrow, too.  Her Mom had a chemo treatment today and an ENT appointment tomorrow for the spots on her tongue and throat.  She's not sure when she'll come back.

 

Mike got a phone call today from, of all places, Glorieta.  The youth camp we went to was calling all the churches and telling them that last week's camp had seven confirmed cases of the flu so far.  Meanwhile, here in Galveston, Mike apparently has the flu  And several of our kids do, too.  Chris got a call from Rita telling her about it, so she called to see if I had it.  I didn't tell her.

 

This morning, and most of the afternoon, I spent doing headmaster stuff.  And I had another of those tyranny of the urgent days that drive me nuts about myself.  I kept seeing something else that I needed to do, and I would leave what I started, then have to come back to it later.  I had to go through the existing files and try to establish who would be in what class next year.  I had to call back some interested parents who left messages on the church answering machine.  I had to email back some interested teachers – our ad for teachers and a principal went out in the paper today.  There is just so much to do.  I had to keep telling myself that I couldn't do it all today.  I was not very convincing.

           

We went to Luby's.  The other two Vaughan families were there as well.  It was good to see Cailyn after a week away. 

 

I talked to Chris on the phone.  She told me to stay away from the computer for the rest of the evening.  I hope this doesn't count.  I went out to the back yard to clean some tools.  When I came back in to get a wire brush, the lock on the door fell off.  Just fell off.  I never touched it.  In fact, I didn't even lock that door last night.  I emailed our contractor about that little update. 

 

I took mom to water exercise.  Then I checked out our old bed.  The headboard and footboard might be somewhat fixable.  Not so the side rails.  They are really warped.  And you can see in the warp where it sat in the water and then stayed twisted for three weeks.  I don't know how Chris will take that "great" news.

 

Psalms 43:3-4 says, "Send forth your light and your truth, let them guide me; let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell.  4 Then will I go to the altar of God, to God, my joy and my delight.  I will praise you with the harp, O God, my God."

 

Father, I want to praise you even with the prospect of flu hovering over my head and the heads of all of us who went to camp.  Please keep us in your hand.  Amen.


No comments: