Sunday, July 5, 2009

July 5 – “Looking at Books”

 

We had a full house today at church.  After we got started I realized we were already pretty much full, so I went over and warned a guy sitting near our chair stash that he may have to be called into duty if anyone else showed up.  Sure enough, before I could even get to the other side of the room, a whole family of six adults came in.  And they were seated in record time.  And yet another family came in late, but they made the dreaded trek to the front row.  I noticed sitting in the back was a couple who had been among those who helped put sheetrock up in our house.  I tried to catch them after church to invite them to come by and take a look, but they left too quickly.

 

Among the crowd was a family that used to go to Seaside.  In fact he was our worship pastor.  He ended up playing guitar with the praise team and Lanny was able to just sing.  The transformation in Lanny was amazing.  He relaxed and worshipped and it was really easy for us to join him.  We stayed for a long time after worship and talked with Andy and Jennie. 

 

We went to lunch over at Bluewater Grill.  We sure didn't want to go out to eat in town.  The crowds were massive this weekend.  But we got to see Duane and his family there.  He's one of the guys who came to Galveston to work after the storm and seems to really like it.  This was the first time his family has been here with him.  They said they were here at least until September or October, so I hope to get to know them better.  Way to go Sam for going to lunch with them and making the feel more at home.

 

After we ate we went by Ned and Nancy's.  They said they had a bookshelf for us if we wanted it.  They were about to head back to Temple, but we got it loaded into the Explorer with little difficulty.  Mom sat in the front and I stretched out in the back seat – under the bookshelf.  It was kind of a long ride home.  I told Chris she would "love" it.  It felt like I was in a coffin.  She is very claustrophobic.

 

We watched the Astros take a victory.  Actually I more listened while I went through all the remaining boxes of books.  Those given to us and those salvaged.  As I looked at the salvaged ones, I found myself remembering where they were on the shelf before Ike.  That was a strange flashback.  We have about five small boxes left to put on shelves when we get more shelves.  It's a far cry from what we had before the storm.  We had about six walls full of books.  Oh, a friend from seminary days offered to share some of his books with me.  He and a friend are starting new churches in the Austin area.  Sounds very exciting.

 

Now we have to start getting ready for youth camp.  We leave next Sunday morning.  That means nine or ten trips to WalMart, I'm sure.  I know we need to restock the first aid kit.  That's a yearly task.  I'm looking for just the right plastic tub or suitcase for my new uke.  If I can't find it, I do have Kel's guitar case.  It dwarfs my poor little uke, though.  You know, that tenor uke came with a case.  And it was sure pretty.

 

Revelation 22:6-7 says, "The angel said to me, 'These words are trustworthy and true. The Lord, the God of the spirits of the prophets, sent his angel to show his servants the things that must soon take place.'

7 'Behold, I am coming soon! Blessed is he who keeps the words of the prophecy in this book.'"

 

Father, I really like books.  I really like your book, too.  Especially the part about you coming back.  Come on.  Amen.


No comments: