Thursday, July 30, 2009

July 30 – “My Day”

 

Today was an unusual one for us.  Chris's mom and dad actually came over for a visit.  There were two reasons behind it.  One was that they haven't seen our house since before the hurricane.  We have sent pictures and told them about it, but they wanted to see it in person.  The second reason was that there was a big Quilt Thing-a-ma-rama at Moody Gardens and her mom wanted to go to it.  That's the one that concerned me.  When they got here she could barely walk from the car to the door.  Very unsteady on her feet.  And after the little tour of the house she had to sit down before she fell down.  She rested the rest of the morning, and the Moody Gardens trek began shortly after lunch.

 

And that's when "my day" kicked in.  While they went quilting I decided to do something manly.  So I went to Home Depot.  Sure enough I saw our contractor there.  And our painter.  I said hello and proudly went about my manly business of buying wood to cut into slats for the bed we are setting up in the yellow room, and painter's putty to cover the nails in the wood around our new windows.  Of course, I had to ask which wood to buy.  And what in the world is painter's putty, anyway?  And how is it different from caulk?  But I got it done and loaded in my truck.  Now all I have to do is get out my power saw and cut it into the right lengths.  Power saw.  Oh, yeah.

 

Well, then I decided I would do something pastorally.  So I went to see my secretary in the hospital.  She just developed adult onset asthma after being around some gasoline fumes at her other job – being secretary to a mechanic.  She thinks she will get out Saturday, but she has a long way to go.

 

When they threatened to change her sheets, I prayed and excused myself.  Besides, it was time for me to do something husbandly.  On the way home I stopped at a mattress store.  On purpose.  By myself.  To "shop."  I went in and got some prices on a mattress and box spring for that yellow bedroom bed.  Interesting experience.  There was only one worker, and he was with the only other customer in the store.  She looked like a nice lady.  Already uncomfortable, I stepped up the pace, pulled out my scrap paper and pencil, and wrote down some prices.  Those things can get expensive.  Way over a thousand dollars for a pile of fluff.  One good possibility, though.  They had a "back room."  That's where they have all the mismatched stuff.  It was like they threw a bunch of sets into a giant clothes dryer and these came out with no partner.  They were a lot cheaper.  I managed to escape before the sales guy finished with the lady.  He said he was nearly finished, but I told him I needed to bring my wife back anyway.  That was a close one.

 

Finally I got back home.  They were back from Moody Gardens, and we sat in the family room and talked.  Well, I listened to them talk.  That's when I ended up doing something Kelley-ly … unfortunately.  I fell asleep on the couch.   

 

Manly, pastorally, husbandly, Kelley-ly.  Next time I just need to focus my efforts on Jesus-ly.

    

Matthew 5:48 says, "Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

 

Father, forgive me for trying to be something other than – well, you.  Amen.


No comments: