Thursday, October 24, 2019

October 24 – “at the end of the day …”


A three mile walk was indeed taken.  Just not by me.  I stayed at home and nursed my miserable cold.  Even had some stomach issues begin to arise.  Chris, however, was amazing as usual.  She made the trek on her own.

I did go with Chris to take Freddy to the vet for her check-up.  Rabies shot.  Blood test for heartworms.  Negative, by the way.  Heart worm pills and anti-flea drops to put on her back.  Chunk of change.  On the way home we drove by the body shop that has the truck.  It was parked in the back lot, so I guess all was well.  Can’t wait to see how it looks painted. 

We also made a quick trip over to Walmart.  Fruit and bread and milk and Benadryl.  Oh, and we stopped by Randall’s for some stamps and oranges. 

Last night Chris went to her ladies’ Bible study.  I stayed home, partly because I’m no lady.  Partly because I still needed some recuperation time.  Partly because the Astros were playing.  Things didn’t go so well for me or the Astros.  They lost.  Big.  12-3.  Looks like the Nationals are having one of those magical seasons.  The series isn’t over yet, though.  Anything can happen in baseball.  As for me, I struggled with those stomach issues some more.  Then when it was finally time to go to sleep, I found that my head was so stopped up I could barely breathe.  I finally gave in and took my last Claritin-D decongestant pill around 11:30.  I hate to take them at night because I never sleep well.  Knowing that little tidbit of history about myself, I elected to stay on the couch so my coughing and tossing and turning wouldn’t wake Chris up. 

That self-imposed exile worked well until about 2:30 in the morning.  That’s when Freddy located something in the back yard that she felt strongly enough about that she just had to announce its presence.  No idea what it was.  I couldn’t bring myself to get up and look.  But I was awake, for sure.  That round I stayed alert doing crossword puzzles for a few hours. 

Around four I decided to troll around Facebook a little bit.  Bad decision.  Have you ever been scrolling down and your finger somehow hits whatever mystery button it is that makes one of those random videos come to life … loudly?  Yep.  And before I could get it stop, Chris was in the room checking on me.  I assured her I was fine and apologized for waking her.  Guess what she asked about next?  The Astros.  I love that woman.  By the way she made a comment when we were at Walmart that is a good one for all of us to remember during the next few days, one way or another.  “It’s just a baseball game.”  Yep.  Lots of fun to cheer and listen to the Altuve Polka and stay up late to watch the games.  But at the end of the day … it will still be the end of the day.  Jesus will still be Lord no matter who wins the World Series.  Good call, Chris. 

I finally dozed off again and managed to make it all the way to 5:45.  Close enough to my usual wake-up time.  I gathered up my mini-travel-pharmacy and returned everything to its proper place.  Time to get ready for home group tonight …

Hebrews 10:35-36 says, “So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded.  You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised.”

Father, thank you for being the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow … no matter who wins the World Series.  Amen.

No comments: