Friday, October 18, 2019

October 18 – “Back in hibernation …”


I started off my day yesterday by responding to a text request from the night before.  Kel texted to say that somehow Jachin had accidentally locked himself out of his own phone.  In a battle of technological access with his younger brother, Jachin suddenly found himself without access to the SIM card on his phone.  Kel did some online research and discovered that the only fix was to replace the SIM card, an effort only available at the AT&T store where he bought the phone.

Enter DadDad.  I drove over to the post office and met Kel.  He gave me the phone – along with the baseball card we ordered on ebay that completes the set I bought in Glen Rose.  Yeah for Orel Hersheiser (The guy whose card I was missing).  I headed over to the AT&T store right here by our house.  There were two tech reps on duty, and one was busy.  The other was seated at a table across the room.  I entered, expecting the usual cheery welcome and approach at the door, tablet in hand, ready to provide assistance.  This time?  Not so much.  The guy slowly looked up from his perch and said in a barely discernible voice, “Yes sir?”  Well, at least he said, “Sir.”  I sat next to him and explained the problem.  He never said a word, so I continued with the information that Kel had discovered about replacing the SIM card.  Still no response.  I listened carefully, because he never even looked up at me.  Yes, there it was.  He was breathing. But the breathing sounded like he was either snoring or had a severely restricted airflow.  I counted maybe twice that he glanced up.  Not at me, though.  ESPN was playing highlights from football games on the store television.  He had to check those out.  He finally asked for my ID so he could access our account.  But that was it.  Strangely enough, he suddenly rise from his seat and walked across the room.  OK, so he could walk.  I guess he’s not completely out of it.  And he returned with … a new SIM card.  Imagine that.  He replaced it, turned on Jachin’s phone, and it came right up.  I thanked him, and he nodded in my general direction, returning once again to his head-bowed, slumped over position at his table.  Back in hibernation, I suppose. 

Now all that happened in less than five minutes.  I guess when you don’t waste time on incidental things like customer relations, you can speed things up.  Anyway, I was able to get the phone back to Kel before he even left the post office to make his duly appointed rounds.  Enjoy your awesome Captain Kirk flip phone for another three years, Jachin …

2 Corinthians 5:7 says, “For we live by faith, not by sight.”

Father, thanks for the quick access to Jachin’s phone.  And would you watch over that tech guy?  I’m still kind of worried about his health.  Amen.

No comments: