Saturday, October 19, 2019

October 19 - “Revisiting an old adventure”

We left the friendly confines of Galveston for yet another foray into the wilds of Texas yesterday.  Several reasons.  We left pretty early first so we could revisit an old. Adventure in Glen Rose, Texas. We wanted to check out the old antique store where I bought that stash of baseball cards.  Maybe look at a few other things as well.  As it turned out the old guy running the store is going out of business.  He was anxious to get rid of his inventory, so now guess who has another several boxes to go through.  I looked at one on the way to our next destination.  It was a bunch of cards of guys in the minor leagues.  Found Brad Ausmus and Mike Schmidt.  That was fun.

Next reason ... next week is Luke’s birthday.  Chris finished making his present.  She miraculously transformed an old raggedy pair of his favorite pajamas into a very cute stuffed whale, one of his favorite animals.  I for one was duly impressed.  He seemed to adore it as well.  He also like the light-up plastic football.  His comment there was, “A football ... finally.”

Third reason ... Caleb and Luke are playing soccer games today.  That was actually the overt reason for our visit.  Ah, did you sense a hidden nuance there?  You should.  There was also a rather covert reason for coming.  I can talk about it now.  The secret is out.

Fourth reason ... last night I was one of a group of secret super criminals who descended upon Waco. We were being sought after in the Waco mall by teams of pre-teen master detectives.  Josh called and asked if I would be interested in helping their children’s minister carry out the church event for Caleb’s age group.  Chris helped me fabricate quite the disguise.  I kind of looked like a guy who comes to Seaside some - Forrest.  Long hair wig.  Simple clothes.  Island shirt.  Cell phone in hand.  Head down watching the Astros game.  I was discovered by the first group within seconds of my arrival.  Came up behind me shouting, “PK!”  The other two groups found me fairly quickly as well.  Not so great at hiding, but we had a great time.  Good event, Shelley.

Isaiah 26:4 says, “Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord Himself, is the Rock Eternal.”

Father, thanks for the chance to see those youngsters I haven’t seen since camp back in July.  Bless ‘em.  Amen.


No comments: