Monday, October 14, 2019

October 14 – “Pretty good breakfast? …”


I did something I really try to stay away from yesterday.  I took a Benadryl right before church started.  Couldn’t help it.  When the sneezing started my choices were antihistamine or sneeze through the teaching.  I stayed awake OK as far as I could tell.  No one startled me awake or anything as far as I can remember. 

We had lots of snacks left over from the Fall Festival that we put out for people to enjoy with their donuts.  It was a veritable feast of sugary delights.  I had two donut holes, one little round ball of cake with sprinkles on top, and one of those teeny tiny little bite sized Three Musketeers bars.  Pretty good breakfast, I suppose.  Healthy?

After church we went to Cailyn’s softball game over at the airport fields.  Her team was losing by a run when we arrived, but they ended up coming back and winning fairly easily.  Cailyn hit two singles, and on both occasions she stole second and third and scored on an error.  One of those days …

We watched a little of the Cowboys game when we got home.  I heard the Texans won.  Not such good news for the Cowboys.  Fell just short when a two-point conversion attempt failed.  They lost to a team that hadn’t won a game all year.  They almost made a great comeback, though.  To the Jets’ credit, though, they had been playing without their starting quarterback.  Apparently the guy had mononucleosis.  That’s the kissing disease as I recall.  No cure except to rest for several weeks.  Oh, and don’t kiss anybody. 

Now last night we watched some of the real sport of October – post-season baseball.  The Astros were trying to even the series with the dreaded Yankees.  Lost the first game when the bats went cold … again.  Verlander pitched this one, though.  High expectations.  And they weren’t misplaced.  He was amazing.  Left the game with it tied 2-2.  Then the bullpen took over.  It took a while, but the bottom of the eleventh was well worth the wait. Carlos Correa led off the inning and smashed a walk-off home run to right field.  Phew.  Of course by then it was midnight and Chris had been out cold for quite some time.  I stayed as quiet as I could then.  I’ll let her know what she missed when she wakes up this morning …

Philippians 4:8 says, “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable – if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things.”

Father, please be with our Seasider Cindy as she undergoes knee surgery today.  And watch over her granddaughter’s tonsil surgery as well.  Amen.


No comments: