Sunday, October 20, 2019

October 20 – “Doggie Dance Partner?”


I had a bit of a rough night last night.  Combination of sneezing and not-breathing because of my allergies.  Flare-ups happen every time we go to Waco and bask in the wondrous smell of the cedars and invisible flittering of the dreaded ragweed, both of which were registering in the “high” end of the spectrum.  And of course we were there to watch some soccer, a decidedly outdoor sport.  Lovely.

It wasn’t so bad when we were up rooting for the Astros.  It didn’t bother me so much when Chris left the room just in time to miss Osuna blowing the save.  It was OK throughout the home-run-going-to-the-World-Series dance following Altuve’s walk-off home run.  A dance rivaled, by the way, solely by that of Ed and his doggie dance partner.  I was sent a video documenting that one.  No video evidence here.  You’ll just have to take my word for it.  My celebratory racket did bring Chris back into the room, though. 

Nope.  The problem came when I tried to gently ease my head onto the pillow.  Nope.  Stopped up.  Could not breathe.  I had already taken a Benadryl to stop the sneezing, so I really couldn’t take a decongestant on top of it.  Just had to grin and bear it.  Trolled FaceBook some to read the hilarious posts by Astros fans.  One friend of mine from the East Coast had been intermittently posting “Go Yankees.”  After the home run his posts abruptly changed to “Go Nationals.”  Another funny one was whoever took the picture of 5’6” Altuve standing next to 6”9” Aaron Judge.  After the home run they miraculously transformed it to where Altuve was now a head or so taller than Judge.  Hilarious.  I finally dozed off sometime long after midnight, propped up on two pillows to facilitate the flow of oxygen through my desperate nasal passages.  Fortunately I had the foresight to set my alarm, or I may have stayed in that state long past my usual 6 a.m. internal wake-up call. 

More about the Saturday Soccer Stuff tomorrow (if I remember).  Time to go over sermon stuff for church today …

Isaiah 60:3 says, “Nations will come to your light, and kings to the brightness of your dawn.”

Father, please help me to stay focused (and breathing) through the teaching today.  Amen.

No comments: