Sunday, October 22, 2023

October 22 - “We’ll miss you, Dale”


We heard some tough news this weekend. A member of the Seaside praise team and a friend, Dale ..  well, here’s the wording of the text I received from his family: “At approximately 3:00 pm, yesterday, Dale leaped into the arms of Jesus.”  I like that. A lot. That’s what I want to do. Leap into the arms of Jesus. Dale was the guy who could play any musical instrument he picked up, and play it like he’d been doing it his whole life. I’m sure in heaven he’ll get a chance to be more musical than even he ever dreamed. The last words he spoke to me when I saw him in the hospital were, “I love you, my brother, and I love my church.” We’ll miss you, Dale. 


Luke’s basketball game was the center of attention yesterday morning. He’s in a league with other third and fourth graders. And he’s way better than all of them. Nope. Not just grandpa talking here. The final score was 22-18. Luke scored 20. The other two were scored because Luke’s ball-handling skills caused the kid to be wide open. He made numerous passes throughout the game as well, but the other kiddos just couldn’t reach the basket with their shots. On defense I lost count of the number of blocked shots and rebounds he had. Stats speak for themselves. Proud of you, Luke. 


After the game we met up with Christi and AnnaGrace (they had been at a birthday party).  We all went to AnnaGrace’s favorite fast food place, Freddy’s. And while there we presented Luke with his birthday present from us. Chris made him a pillow from one of his favorite but outgrown t-shirts. We also found a book in our trip on how to make primitive weapons. That has become a favorite pastime of his, using bamboo from the outrageous crop behind their house. I think he liked it OK. 


We got on the road a little before two. Of course we had to stop for gas. Can’t let it get too far below half a tank or I start hearing my dad’s voice in my head. Glad we did. Took us forever to get through downtown Houston. One of the main exit ramps was blocked off by Houston Police. No idea what was happening, but it sure affected traffic. We made it safely, though. Around 7-ish. 


Proverbs‬ ‭17‬:‭17‬ says, A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity.


Father, welcome Dale into your presence with open arms. They guy really does love you. Amen. 

No comments: