Monday, October 2, 2023

October 2 - “Cracker-in’ again and again”


While I have a minute or two before tuning in to worship in Waco (I’m typing this on Sunday morning), I thought I would comment on something that is apparently a thing up here. They call it “Agri-tourism.”  Honestly, I have no idea what the local definition for that is, but I can say that it describes perfectly Chris on a hike or checking out of a hotel or … well, anytime she sees a flower. We have hundreds of random pictures of flowers on our camera right now. And the weird thing is … Chris can probably tell you exactly where we saw each one. Amazing. 


We drove on the Davy Crockett Parkway through the Daniel Boone National Forest. Very pretty mountain drive. Places like Brown Fanny Road. I don’t think I want to know where that name came from. 


Stopped in Corbin, Kentucky. Why? It’s the birthplace of the secret recipe for Colonel Sanders’ fried chicken. We went to the museum and had lunch with some college students in the original Sanders Cafe. Put this one on your bucket list of weird places. 


Next we stopped at an artisan fair in Berea, Kentucky. It was more like a visitor center with a permanent store and restaurant in the back. And all the stuff for sale was made by locals. There were some interesting things. I especially liked the woodworking, of course. Oh, and the creatures one guy made using old screws and bicycle chains and the like. Weird, but cool. 


From that parking lot we finally made reservations for our next hotel. It was about an hour away, and it was already after one, so we hit the save button and reserved a room. Good thing, too. All their rooms for tonight were sold out already. 


We got checked in with no problems. This hotel is so nice that Chris changed her whole perspective on reservations. Looks like we’ll be seeking out Hampton Inns for a while. We even found a Cracker Barrel a few miles away, that’s where we went for supper. Back in the room we just crashed and got excited when the Astros won big. But then the Rangers lost a close one. That bumped the Astros became the  Division champs by virtue of a tie-breaker over the Rangers. Rangers still made the playoffs, though. 


Psalms‬ ‭32‬:‭8 says, I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.


Father, thank you for yesterday. It was good for my back to take a rest from walking so much. Please be with us with all the walking we face today. Amen. 

No comments: