Sunday, March 19, 2023

March 19 - “IF I’m awake at 3 a.m.?”

I received an interesting text the other night. It was from Cathy, our good friend from church and home group, and it concerned our friend Bobby, who lives in Nashville. She said, “Bobby is driving all night to get here for the fish fry. If you are awake at 3 a.m., or any other random time, give him a call to make sure he is awake.”

 

(OK. “If I’m awake at 3 a.m.?”  Hmm. Someone must be reading my blog). As I said, interesting. At least my brain must have thought so. Why? Because I woke up in the middle of a dream I was having. And in the dream … I was talking to Bobby on the phone. And to my surprise, it was … yep … 3 a.m.

 

Well at least this time I actually had a purpose behind such an early morning. What else was I to do? I called Bobby to make sure he was staying awake on the road. We chatted for a half hour or so. He had gotten as far as Lufkin, so he was making pretty good time. His goal was to arrive by 6 or 6:30. And of course, I prayed for him.

 

I was even able to get back to sleep for a bit. Oh, and it was really cold out. 51 degrees with a wind chill in the 40’s. Where is that Spring that teased us last week?

 

It didn’t even warm up much over the course of the day. By the time our fish fry fundraiser at church started at four, it was still barely 50 degrees.

 

Last night I went up to the church to pick up some fish dinners for me and Chris and Cailyn. The dinners were part of our big fundraiser for the Alaska mission trip coming up the end of May. When I got there around 4:30, the place was packed. And they kept coming in waves the whole time I was there. I had to leave to get Chris’ food to her, but it looked like we were going to run out of fish for sure.  Lauren predicted that if all went as it usually does at a Seaside event, all would be well-fed, and we would probably end up with two pieces of fish left over. 

 

The fish cooking crew did a fabulous job, both baked and fried. The sides were really tasty as well. Seasiders were everywhere, greeting people and working in the kitchen and keeping the serving tables loaded.  I was proud of everyone, especially Lauren, who put the whole event together. Oh, and she called last night with the results.  We made over $2700 for the Alaska mission trip.  And we had … two pieces of baked fish left over.

 

Proverbs 3:7 says, Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil.

 

Father, bless the folks who worked so hard to make the fish fry so successful. Amen.

No comments: