Thursday, May 26, 2022

May 26 – “Go to the start of the line”

I started out the morning with an early visit to the auto mechanic.  Not any problems with the car or anything.  We just needed an inspection so we could renew the registration.  Dennis took care of it, as usual.  So great to have a mechanic you can trust.

 

From there I went downtown to get the registration sticker.  I was the only person in line when I walked in.  Only customer anywhere in sight, as a matter of fact.  I was directed to “the start of the line,” which was a few steps further away from the one doing the directing.  The five or maybe six other workers were steadily focused on whatever their current task at their desk was.  I waited for a long two or three minutes before I was finally recognized and called to a window … the one farthest from where I was waiting.  Once I got to that point, the whole transaction took less than two minutes.  I nodded pleasantly to the backs of those five or six heads on my way out. 

 

On the way home I got a call from Kel.  Seems the voter people were at the church to pick up voting machines.  One problem … they broke off the key in the lock and couldn’t get in.  Wonderful.  Kel was headed to another appointment, so Chris and I drove out to the church to open up for them.  Once they were all loaded up and pulling away, we walked across the street to the Shrimp and Stuff food truck.  Chris got her favorite grilled shrimp tacos.  I had popcorn shrimp.  We took our bounty over to the church and had a nice lunch together.  Great date, right?

 

We then managed to fit in a trip to WalMart for groceries.  We were out of more than just bananas this time.  The pantry was getting a little bare.  But all is well.  It is restocked again.  While we were waiting in line, the folks in front of us had a really full basket, but they ran into a problem.  It was a group of folks, at least one of whom was from out of state.  She was the one trying to pay for the groceries, and the credit card company they were trying to use was being “overly helpful.”  Their card was denied because it was out of region.  They finally put their ticket on hold in the computer until the credit card company and WalMart could work something out.  One of them even called some others who were waiting in the car and told them to go ahead to the beach house “so the baby wouldn’t have to wait in the car.”  Quite the crisis.  Hope they got it resolved, or their vacation to Galveston will not get off on the right foot. 

 

John 14:1 says, “Do not let your hearts be troubled.  You believe in God; believe also in me.”

 

Father, please give those tourists a good week, especially after the rough start they were having.  Amen.

No comments: