Monday, June 7, 2021

June 7 – “Some really good chicken”

We had a relatively unscathed forty-sixth anniversary yesterday.  No lights or fireworks, other than the ones in our eyes, I guess.  No candles on cakes.  Not even a dinner for two at a quiet restaurant (Those don’t exist in Galveston in June.  Too many tourists).  A phone call here.  A text there.  Well-wishes from friends new and old on FaceBook.  Even a video from the FaceBook nether regions wished us well. 

 

We went to church, of course.  It was my first sermon back from vacation, so I couldn’t miss that one.  I had a meeting afterwards.  Chris spent the time chatting with one of the other ladies in the church.  Back at home we watched the Astros and had a pork chop for lunch that Chris had made in our air fryer.  She is learning how to use the thing, and what comes out is pretty good stuff.  And for dinner she created a healthier version of fried chicken in the fryer that was really good.  Of course it had none of that crispy batter-y deliciousness, but it was good chicken, nonetheless.  We caught up on a few of the TV shows we recorded while on vacation.  And then we made our way to bed.  I know.  What a boring way to spend an anniversary.  But, hey.  When you have been doing this marriage thing for as long as we have, the celebration is in the relationship, not the glitz and glamour.  Not that we don’t enjoy the occasional glitz and glamour, but to paraphrase a certain purple dinosaur, “I love her.  She loves me.  We’re as happy as can be …”  Or something along those lines.

 

Ezekiel 36:26 says, “I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.”

 

Father, thank you again for my wife.  I really do kinda like her.  I’m certainly glad she’s kept me around all these years.  Amen.

No comments: