Tuesday, June 29, 2021

June 29 – “A little home maintenance crisis”

We had a little home maintenance crisis around here.  After a week at children’s camp … the washing machine went out.  Well, not out exactly.  It still ran.  But when it did, so did the water.  All over the floor.  I managed to take it apart and discovered a crack in one of the interior hoses.  Wonderful.  I got it off easy enough, but it had all the earmarks of a super-specialty part.  You know, the kind that only the manufacturer can replace.  I decided to chance it anyway and went on a search.  The first two attempts were complete duds.  No trace of anything remotely resembling my part.  But finally, with the help of a guy at the plumbing store, who sent me to the appliance store, who sent me to the hardware store with instructions to just match the hole with a hose that I can bend into place, success.  The appliance guy said that was the old school way of doing that hose, anyway.  “The way they did it back when they actually wanted things to last.”  Sur enough, it worked.  Kind of difficult to get the new one on, though.  Even harder to get the machine itself back together.  As it was, I got it done.  And I only had five pieces left over.

 

Yesterday afternoon a friend in the fire department, John, brought over one of the most unique gifts I have ever received.  It is a vending machine … for baseball cards.  It even came with a box of random cards from the 80’s and 90’s.  Best part of it all, though … another fire fighter, Jonathan, painted on one side, “Chappy.”  Thanks so much, guys.  I love it. 

 

Exodus 14:14 says, “The Lord will fight for you; you need only be still.”

 

Father, thank you for little acts of assistance and big acts of generosity.  Amen.

No comments: