Friday, April 23, 2021

April 23 – “Over and over again …”

Well, yesterday will be an easy one to write about.  I really didn’t do much of anything unusual or exciting.  It was a scheduled off-day for walking.  Chris didn’t have cardiac rehab.  I completed my preparations for Home Group Bible study.  What was there left to do? 

 

Oh, yeah.  I worked on that pesky 2000 piece jigsaw puzzle.  So much so that it gave me a backache.  All that bending over and reach across the table.  I did get a lot done, anyway.  So there’s that …

 

Before I venture out into the great outdoors for today’s walk, I  can share about the last two songs that have graced my head while meandering through the neighborhood.  The first was a few days ago.  A friend asked on his FaceBook feed for suggestions for alien-themed songs to use in a trivia contest he was spearheading.  Honestly, I had never heard of a single one of the suggestions.  Not one.  So I offered one of my own.  The Flying Purple People Eater.  I’m not sure his usual readers knew that I wasn’t kidding.  But Dave did indicate that he loved my suggestion.  I wasn’t quite as enamored when I couldn’t get the song out of my head for the entire three miles that ensured.  “He was a one-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people eater …”  Over and over again.

 

As if that wasn’t enough, on an earlier jaunt about the blocks that make up our neighborhood, I picked up a random thought.  No Facebook memory jogs at all.  Just exploded into my consciousness and refused to disappear.  Yep.  Another song from yesteryear that I haven’t heard in decades.  No idea why this one showed up.  Anybody remember that old classic, “The Bright Elusive Butterfly of Love”?  Yeah, I don’t either.  At least not the whole song.  But the pieces that were left in my memory banks certainly made their appearance in a big way.  Over and over again.  So much so that my entire cadence was captured and determined by where that song was taking me.  I guess there could have been worse background music to subject myself to …

 

Romans 13:10 says, “Love does no harm to a neighbor.  Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.”

 

Father, thank you for music.  It is truly an expression of your own creativity.  Amen.

No comments: