Tuesday, April 20, 2021

April 20 – “Astro-sleuthing”

It was Monday once again, so back to the old grind.  I took a three mile walk.  Chris went to cardiac rehab.  Same ole, same ole.  Then I hit the computer (I hit it many times, actually, since I was typing.  Hah!).  Monday workday is the fullest.  And this week is even more so, because we have a baby dedication planned for church Sunday.  Young Roman Gabriel Anderson will make his first official appearance at church.  He did come to a soft opening of sorts when Officers Mom and Dad helped us with traffic at the Easter sunrise.  But this time he and Jesus will be the stars of the show.

 

Last night we went to Jachin’s baseball game.  Next to last one of the season.  The last one is tonight, but it is in Conroe, so we chose the Pasadena one.  Much closer.  When we arrived Kel told us that the coach of the opposition was an ex-Astro player, but he couldn’t remember the guy’s name.  That intrigued me.  I put on my sleuth hat and set to work.  He was wearing a uniform with the number two on the jersey.  My only real clue.  Well, other than the guy’s approximate age, just by looking at him.  I pulled out the trusty google machine and set to work.  On the outside chance that the guy was still proud of his major league accomplishments – proud enough to maintain his major league number – I looked up ex-Astros players who wore number two while in Houston.  It was not a huge list.  Alex Bregman, of course, but he is still active.  Chris Burke, of 18th inning playoff game home walk-off home run fame.  Nope.  The look wasn’t right.  But then I came across another one.  The dates were right.  The number was right.  So I switched over to photos.  And there he was.  Had to be the same guy.  I even walked over by the dugout as the teams were warming up.  Yep.  I passed Kel right after that, and asked if he remembered the name Gerald Young.  He shook his head “yes” and said, “Gerald Young.  That’s it.  I just asked somebody.”  Guess my Astro detection meter is still working. 

 

Jachin did pretty well in the game.  Played center field and first base.  I was most proud that he went to the plate as a free swinger.  Got one hit in three at-bats, but connected every time.  The good guys lost this one, 3 to 1.  Jachin scored the only run on a squeeze bunt that was another exciting play.  Exciting times.

 

Psalms 23:1-2 says, “The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.  He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters.”

 

Father, thank you for your protection on the rain-slickened roads on the way to the game and back home last night.  And thanks for that rain.  Makes for a happier Spring for Chris and other green-thumbers.  Amen.

No comments: