Sunday, April 18, 2021

April 18 – “The truck did what? Tales of a late start wedding”

We had a wedding scheduled at the church yesterday.  Eleven o’clock.  Around 9:30, as I was just getting ready to leave, I received the first text from Jim.  He had received word from the bride that there was a flower delivery coming to the church and someone needed to meet it.  He was ready to go, so he hopped in his car and took off.  He was letting me know that he had been slowed in some traffic.  In his words, “Hopefully flower person will wait.”  Little did he know what awaited him …

 

I got ready right away so I could get to the church and be of whatever assistance I could.  When I arrived the flower people had already been there.  Some members of the family were there as well, and they had access to the building key.  Corey was there.  He and Jim were the music for the event.  But no Jim.  No bride.  No groom.  No member of the wedding party at all, in fact.  The bride’s Mom and Dad were there.  The photographer was there.  The clock was ticking.

 

More guests began to show up.  The photographers were taking shots of everyone in the building.  Seems they had tried to get to the house where the wedding party was getting ready but couldn’t get through the traffic.  Finally Jim called.  The problem was that an eighteen-wheeler had overturned on the main road that leads from the Western tip of the island to the church.  It was on its side blocking the entire road.  Apparently no one was hurt badly, but traffic was at a standstill and had been for an hour already.  He said he would get there as soon as he could.  Oh, and the wedding party had been at a house in Sea Isle near him getting ready.  They were stuck as well. 

 

Meanwhile, the church was filling up with more and more guests.  The clock was ticking closer and closer to eleven.  Texts were flying back and forth between the bride and her parents.  Jim was keeping us informed as to progress, or in this case, the lack thereof.  Two cranes were on scene.  Four wreckers.  Police, of course.  He asked me at one point if it I thought maybe it was a reasonable assumption that the workers had taken a lunch break around ten.  Jim was getting a little antsy.  See, he was beginning to experience a secondary issue that was rapidly escalating into a no-longer-secondary issue.  He had to go to the bathroom.  Some of the folks around him were dealing with the problem by making their way across the rattlesnake infested dunes to two porta-potties they spotted over near a condo building.  Jim declined that option.  He did consider giving up his place in line to return home and deal with the problem.  I may or may not have texted back some helpful advice.  Something along the lines of, “Think about waterfalls … crashing waves … gently falling rain … a dripping faucet.”  He was not amused.  He replied, “Niagara Falls is more like it!” 

 

Back at the church I made an official announcement at 11:01: “This is your official announcement.  We will not be starting the wedding at 11:00.”  I came back in a few minutes and offered a bag of flaming hot Cheetos or some dumdums and bottle of water or a juice box to anyone who wanted one.  Hey, it’s all I could find in the kitchen.  One little girl took a bag of Cheetos (not the flaming hot ones).  One guy got a bottle of water for his son.  No takers on the dumdums, though.  Sad.  The photographer was getting tired of taking pictures of everyone.  They already had artsy shots of the invitations and our hanging cross and the flowers.  I considered offering to let her take a picture of my hand and Corey’s hand so she could say it was the bride and groom, but neither of us had a diamond engagement ring on.  She asked if the church had anything else scheduled in the building for a while.  I assured her we were good to go until around seven when another group arrived for their meeting.  But I told her they have always been a flexible group.  We could simply set up a few more chairs and invite them to join us.  Again … not all that amused at the thought.  I tried a second idea.  Maybe we could all meet at the accident site, us on this side and the wedding party on the other.  I could holler out the service.  They could holler back their “I do’s.”  I thought that would be more fun than just FaceTiming it.  Nope.  Not an option.  Too hard to photograph, I guess.

 

Josh called to chat.  He asked what we were doing this fine Saturday morning.  I explained that I was in the middle of officiating a wedding.  He hurriedly apologized, then realized that either there was a really long special solo, or something strange must be up or I would never have answered the phone.  I explained the scenario to him as best as I could.  While I was talking to him, the bride’s stepdad approached, phone in hand.  I asked Josh to hold on for a minute.  The bride was on the other end and wanted to talk to me.  Now, here’s the issue with that.  I was talking to Josh, and Bluetooth was sending his voice directly into my hearing aids.  I moved the phone down so he couldn’t hear what I was saying, but I could still hear him and the interactions with his kids in my ears.  Interesting phenomenon.  I could hear the bride fine.  She just needed some encouragement that we were praying for the Lord to assist in any way possible with moving that huge truck.  So I dealt with that while hearing at the same time all about Josh and AnnaGrace’s walk outside.  Eerie. 

 

Finally, sometime after noon, Jim texted again: “Maybe moving.”  It was the first sign of progress in well over an hour, so I announced it to the crowd, most of whom had become family even if they weren’t before they arrived.  They gave a few cheers and some half-hearted applause.  By this time it was a matter of, “I’ll believe it when I see it.”  But it was true.  Jim showed up first and frantically began setting up (after, I am fairly certain, making a trip to the bathroom).  The bride and groom arrived soon thereafter, and we were off.

 

I did liven things up a little bit when I added a phrase to the opening remarks.  Something about the “Garden of Eden was supposed to be perfect – even more perfect than Lambeau Field.”  Only football fans will understand the reference.  See, they are huge Green Bay Packers fans, and that is the name of the field where the Packers play.  The bride caught it right away.  So did someone in the audience.  A loud guffaw exploded in the silence.  Kind of set the tone that we would be following the enforced flexibility of the circumstances.  At the end of the service after I announced them to be husband and wife, the entire wedding party slipped on sunglasses for the walk out.  Oh, and speaking of the Packers, When they were talking pictures after the service, the bride and a friend of hers slipped on some Packers gear for pictures.  Cheesehead hats and all.

 

The music went off without a hitch.  Beautiful as usual, Jim and Corey.  Especially after the service when they were taking pictures.  Someone convinced them that it would be a good idea to play “The Devil Went Down to Georgia.”  I have no idea who that encourager might have been.  Kind of a risky move to be playing a song like that at a wedding, don’t you think?  But the maid of honor and even the bride’s mom were both on board.  Several of the guests sang along.  The photographer had a hard time keeping the bride still.  I would say it was a good, fun choice.  I couldn’t get them to play through their coffee house gig song list, though.  That would have been helpful for the hours we spent waiting for the truck to be cleared.  It made for a fitting end to the day, though.  They had a team all ready to set the place back up for church today, and got it done in record time.  Quite the Saturday morning, simple wedding …

 

Proverbs 16:24 says, “Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.”

 

Father, would you walk with Chris and Laurie as they begin their life together?  Draw them closer to you.  Amen.

No comments: