Tuesday, March 31, 2020

March 31 – “Easter in August?”


Well, I had my big powwow with worship leader Jim yesterday.  By text, of course.  Social distancing and all.  We made the final decision to forego the Easter sunrise service on the beach this year.  Well, the decision was kind of made for us.  City government has shut down all access to the beaches.  So we’ll be continuing the wildly popular Seaside Online extravaganza experience.  Now remember, though.  Two things.  Every Sunday is a celebration of Easter.  And two, as far as a service on the beach is concerned … keep these words in the back of your mind … Easter in August.  Has a nice ring to it.

Here’s yet another Corona-trend that we got involved in.  We pulled out a jigsaw puzzle.  We hauled inside the table from the back porch to put it on.  It’s a weird and wonderful conglomeration of Galveston sights (The puzzle, not the table).  I learned that Chris is much better at this than I am.  I also learned that we both approach puzzles of this sort the same way.  See, there are two ways to piece these things together.  One is by the shape of the individual puzzle piece.  Search the corners and little indentations until you find one that matches.  Nope.  Not for me.  Not surprisingly, for those who know me, I am a picture guy all the way.  Find a unique shape or color (However, that doesn’t help me too much.  Lots of alleged colors all look the same to me) on the piece, and look for something similar on the board.  Oh, and the other wild card is whether or not to use the picture on the box as a guide.  Some consider that to be cheating.  Not us.  Our problem has been being able to see it.  But we have that one solved.  Can you say “magnifying glass”?  I knew those things would come in handy some day for something other than burning leaves.  Don’t tell me you didn’t try that when you were a kid.  Nothing like the rush of adrenaline that comes when all your patience has been exhausted and your hand is growing stiff and sore from holding that tiny beam of light steady in one spot, and suddenly a stream of smoke begins to rise.  And I may or may not have been involved in chasing down ants with said beam.  Barbequed fire ant.  Yumm.  Now I can’t even see the ants.  But anyway … we aren’t finished with the puzzle yet. 

Psalms 84:12 says, “Lord Almighty, blessed is the one who trusts in you.”

Father, thank you for the decision made years ago for Sunday to be the Easter celebration every week.  Amen.

No comments: