Wednesday, March 11, 2020

March 11 – “The frightening visitation”


We received yet another early morning unexpected wake-up call yesterday.  Our bodies are going to get used to Daylight Savings Time whether we like it or not.  But this one … this one was special.

It began a little before seven.  And it was a familiar sound.  The faint, yet clearly discernible “yip, yip, yipping” that is unmistakably our beloved little Freddy, informing us that she sees something out of the ordinary that we need to be made aware of.  But as I slowly came more and more into focus with the world around me, there was just something different.  It wasn’t her usual continual, non-stop yappery.  It was intermittent, as if she suspected something was awry, but wasn’t completely sure.  As is our custom, I followed her outside to the back yard, and she took me to the usual place where she sees outside critters.  I saw none.

And then there came the two other sounds that got even Chris’ attention.  One was the low-pitched growl, reminiscent of that movie with the demons that came to eat the souls of the faithful.  Neither of us could place that one.  It certainly wasn’t Freddy.  But the other one.  Oh, my.  It was a deep-throated bark that sounded like a full-blown wolf attack.  And it sounded like it was just outside our bedroom window.  By this time Freddy was in the house.  She didn’t want any part of it, either, I suppose.  But curiosity got the better of me.  I had to see.

So I grabbed a flashlight and this time went out the front door, hoping for a better vantage point. As I rounded the corner to the side of our house where our little shed is, I shined the light toward the shed’s roof.  Yep.  There it was.  One of the biggest opossums I have ever seen.  Kind of explains why Freddy was so hesitant in her vocals this time.  That thing made about three of her.  And if you have ever heard a cornered opossum growl, then you know that mystery sound number one was solved. 

But then it finally registered to my sleep-addled brain that mystery sound number two was once again active.  The bark.  The loud, angry, wolf-like bark.  Slowly I panned the stream of light downward toward my neighbor’s back yard.  And as the beam reach a point much farther from that ground than I would have liked, I saw two small red flashes gleaming back at me through the six-foot high chain link gate.  Frightening, to say the least.  I adjusted the beam to a wider flow of light and once again pointed in the direction of the horrifying racket.  And there, intermittently growling and barking like a police dog turned loose – now in my direction - was a Marmaduke-esque figure.  But … my neighbor does not have a dog.

For a long moment I was too stunned to move.  The angry giant opossum overhead.  The also-angry and even gianter dog below.  The only thing between me and certain destruction was a flimsy gate that Evil-Marmaduke could easily hurdle and the fact that I was pretty sure I could outrun the opossum.  In those short moments a few things began to crystallize in my mind.  No, my life didn’t flash before my eyes.  But I did recall that another neighbor’s rather large dog has been known to scale the fence into this neighbor’s back yard for reasons unknown to the rest of mankind.  Surely that was the same, ordinarily playful creature we see on our neighborhood walks.  And opossums really like to eat things like roaches, and we have begun seeing some of those big old roaches in our back yard lately.  So the ogre-esque opossum was probably just visiting for the breakfast buffet.  See?  A calm, fresh look at the circumstances can change your perspective on most things.  I must confess, however, that I may have ventured out in the yard a time or two – just to check things out, mind you.  I have to keep my little family safe, you know?

1 Peter 4:10 says, “Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.”

Father, thank you for our little protector.  Thanks for that gigantic protector who lives a few houses over as well.  We feel pretty safe from intruders.  Amen.

No comments: