Tuesday, March 17, 2020

March 17 – “Herein Lies The Struggle”


I did something yesterday that I don’t usually do.  I listened to the presidential news conference regarding the latest recommendations on dealing with the coronavirus.  I have to confess, I have been struggling with what to do, with how to approach the situation as it affects my family, sure, but mainly how it affects my leadership of the church here. 

My nature is to lead from a highly optimistic outlook on life.  I trust people until they prove to me they can’t be trusted.  I have a pretty high view of the nature of God, of just who God is, so I believe he can do anything and he is ultimately in control of everything.  From that perspective I have an especially hard time understanding things like panic buying and hoarding. 

And I also really, really like people.  In many case I might just have to say I love them.  I have an inner button that urges me to reach out and help when I can.  That’s probably why Chris and I walked around the corner when we heard the tell-tale crunch of a traffic accident.  She checked on one of the victims while I helped direct traffic until the police and fire department crews arrived.  From that perspective I wouldn’t want to ever lead in placing anyone in harm’s way. 

So, herein lies The Struggle.

It is Economic: At this time we have zero cases of community spread of the disease in Galveston county, so it makes sense to me to continue to support local businesses (like restaurants) that need to pay hourly workers.  On the other hand, there exists the potential of endangering two key portions of the population – elderly and those with other underlying medical conditions.  Some younger people may get the disease, but display little or even no symptoms.  Without intending to, they may inadvertently spread it to those in the at-risk populations.

It is Emotional: Grocery stores are beyond crowded with panic hoarding, which seems a bit silly with the call to avoid crowds.  I’m sure some people are buying out of a sense of entitlement, but I’m pretty sure the underlying issue is one of great fear.  On the other hand, there are still those who are calmly purchasing what they need, when they need it – if it is available. 

It is Social: I have never before heard such a call for this thing called social distancing.  I think that is the current politically correct code word for “quarantine in one form or another.” “Don’t meet in groups of more than ten.”  “Stay six feet away from anyone you see on the street.”  “Don’t shake hands.  Instead fist bump or elbow knock or the ever-popular air hug.”  But then there is always our innate need for physical touch.  Like at church on Sunday when I heard more than once … “I just need my hug.”

It is Biblical: There is a clear admonition in scripture to submit to the governing authorities (Rom. 13:1-7; Heb. 13:17).  On the other hand, there is another charge that is just as clear to not forsake assembling together (Heb. 10:25) and to not live in fear (1 John 4:18). 

Herein lies The Struggle.

Best I can tell, you can summarize all these points with one of these two approaches:
“Jesus can protect us from everything, so flaunt business as usual.”  Yeah, that sounds kind of arrogant to me, too. 
OR … Live your life as normally as you can … but don’t be stupid.

Those of you who know me (or who have gone to camp with me) know that I obviously fall into the latter category.  The only problem now, though, is how to determine what is “stupid,” and then how to live with it when someone else’s “stupid” clashes with mine.

So here are my decisions:
Do we cancel our home Bible studies and prayer groups?
Do we cancel worship services on Sunday?  Or maybe have an adjusted version outside?
Do we cancel the upcoming Easter sunrise service?  Or somehow pare it down?

Right now, as I see it, there is no right or wrong choice here.  The word from our authorities is still in the form of a recommendation.  Should it change to the level of a command, then we need to adjust accordingly.  And we certainly have no reason to make decisions based on fear.  Until something changes further, we will continue on as I posted yesterday.  Want a hug?  Open your arms.  Prefer a fist bump?  Lead with one.  No one will judge you.  In an at-risk population or not feeling well?  Stay at home.  And of course ... wash your hands.  I will be posting updates on the church FaceBook page and I’ll send out emails as needed.

Oh, and if you need anything we have folks who have already volunteered to pick it up for you, whether it be medicine or groceries or a seashell from the beach!

Philippians 4:6-7 says, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

Father, keep us in tune with your Holy Spirit.  I figure you have the best handle on this virus thing.  Forgive us of our fear.  Help us choose to trust you … moment by moment.  Amen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well said, Pastor. Thank you for sharing your struggle with this unseen enemy.