Monday, March 9, 2020

March 9 – “The draft”


I suppose I am coming up in the world.  Yesterday I entered my first ever fantasy baseball draft.  I have no idea what I am doing, though, so don’t expect any long-range repercussions from this momentous occasion. 

My grandson Micah set the whole thing up, so I guess that makes him the commissioner.  It also gave him first pick in the draft, so Mike Trout was off the table and in Micah’s back pocket virtually before we began.  And there are only four teams in our league.  My team is the Galveston Gooks.  My opponents, led by other grandsons, are: U Wish (Micah), Cracker Barrels (Josiah), and Houston Haters (Jachin).  Jachin is embracing the backlash of the cheating scandal. 

With Kel’s help I was able to get a pretty good team.  Justin Verlander was my first round pick.  I also nabbed Jose Altuve and Christian Yelich.  I got the two youngsters, Vlad Guerrero, Jr. and Cavan Biggio.  Oh, and Lourdes Gurriel, Jr. as well.  Love those young guys.  My pitching staff is pretty strong.  It is top-heavy with quality starters, though.  And I do have several guys who I don’t know very well, so they’ll just have to step it up this year. 

Now … have I presented all that info like I knew what I was talking about?  I hope so, because from this point on I have no idea what I’m supposed to do with it all.  Kel tried to give me some pointers.  Something about checking every morning to see which teams are playing and benching guys who aren’t.  There’s probably a lot that could be done with this.  I just hope my guys do their thing and don’t get hurt, because they won’t get much help from this manager.  I expect to be … hands-off … a real player’s coach.

Matthew 5:6 says, “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.”

Father, thank you for Micah’s initiative in putting this league thing together.  Help him to translate that into his future school and work experiences.  Amen.


No comments: