Thursday, March 19, 2020

March 19 – “Doing their jobs …”


Allow me to digress from coronavirus-ical matters today.  Please. 

The other day – I’m not sure which day.  They all seem to run together lately – Chris was working out in the yard.  I was once again at my desk working on the computer, no doubt doing something virus-ical related.  All of a sudden Chris was at my side asking rather excitedly, “Did you hear that?”  Of course I had not, and I’m pretty sure she didn’t expect anything more from my ears.  She hurried on to explain that she was convinced she had heard a car wreck somewhere. 

Always concerned for our neighbors, I jumped up and the two of us ventured outside to see if it was anywhere close.  She checked over by the Zion Retreat Center.  Nothing.  I went to Jones Road to check the nearest intersection over by Parker School (It’s always hard for me to call it that.  I went there.  It was Island School at the time and Miss Parker was our principal.  But I digress).  Sure enough, there was a large box truck stopped in the intersection with its hood popped up.  I waited for Chris to join me, and we ventured closer.

On the other side of the truck was the SUV that had attempted an altercation of some kind with the truck.  The truck … won.  The car was in pretty bad shape.  Airbags were deployed and the driver appeared to be kind of out of it.  Chris and another nurse passer-by stayed with her.  I went over by the truck to help with traffic control until the police and fire crews could arrive.  Cars were driving around the accident, but in doing so they were crushing through lots of glass.  I started detouring them through a nearby parking lot.  It wasn’t long before the call went out and engine four and police units and paramedics arrived on scene.  With the situation now well in hand, we eased away back to our self-imposed exile. 

And here’s the thing.  Before the afternoon was out, the crew of fire station four had already responded to two more calls, one in our neighborhood (Somebody was burning something) and another wreck at that same intersection.  Appreciate our first responders, folks.  They are doing their jobs in the midst of the crisis at hand.  I for one am truly proud of what they are doing.  Way to go, guys.

Proverbs 21:21 says, “Whoever pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity and honor.”

Father, I pray it often but would you ride with these first responders and protect them as they push through whatever situations arise?  Amen.

No comments: