Wednesday, April 1, 2020

April 1 – “Palms on the Porch”


Pointing at the morning paper, I told Chris that I heard Texas was going to go back to the Blue Laws days and start requiring all businesses to be closed on Sundays.  She immediately began a discourse on how she had heard that as a reasonable way for stores to have time to restock their shelves in the wake of the panic buying.  My face must have been telling, however.  She suddenly stopped and said, “It doesn’t say that, does it?”  Ah, she knows me only too well.  I reluctantly gave in and happily exclaimed, “April Fools.”  We then had a discussion about the benefits of returning to the blue laws.  Scary how eerily possible that little joke really was.

On the serious side, Nathan and April and Cailyn stopped by yesterday.  Yep, all three of them.  They were on their way to pick up their drive-by order of food from Salsa’s.  Nathan cut down some palm branches for me and they were dropping them off.  It was great to see them, even if they didn’t all get out of the car.  So why palm branches when we aren’t meeting for Palm Sunday?  Well, here’s the thing.  I made 100 palm crosses.  The plan is to put a container on the front porch of the church and of our house.  Palms on the Porch.  Anyone who wants to stop by and pick one up is welcome to do so.  That way you can have a reminder of our weird home-worship experiences.  And don’t forget to tune in to Seaside Church Facebook page for our Seaside Online Palm Sunday service.  There will be a few new surprises this time, so don’t miss it.

Speaking of services, that’s how I spent most of the day yesterday.  Sitting in front of the computer putting together powerpoints and praise scriptures.  Chris put the finishing touches on the jigsaw puzzle we have been working on.  When she did, I went to the closet and scrounged around until I found another one.  This one has 1,000 pieces though.  It should take us longer than a few days. 

1 Corinthians 3:18 says, “Do not deceive yourselves.  If any of you think you are wise by the standards of this age, you should become ‘fools’ so that you may become wise.”

Father, I love verses like that one.  I can scratch my head all day and still not grasp all the nuances of what you had in mind there.  I can relate to the “becoming fools” thing, though.  Amen.

No comments: