Friday, April 24, 2020

April 24 – “A question for the ages …”


I had a resurgence of sore back-dom yesterday.  It was because of that old bag of quickcrete I lifted into the trash, I’m pretty sure.  Really heavy stuff.  And I almost dropped the whole thing just before I reached the lip of the can.  I guess it was that weight shift that did it.  And Chris has sore legs again.  Beyond her usual sore from whatever her problem is that the docs have yet to figure out.  This sore is from squatting in the flower beds.  Yup.  We’re getting old.

We did talk a bit of a walk.  Actually it was just about a block over to the mailbox on 69th near Parker School.  We live on 70th.  Not far.  But it does count, doesn’t it?

Speaking of going somewhere, we decided to do our part in support of local businesses.  We called in an order to Shrimp and Stuff.  When I asked how they were doing payment (over the phone or in person) the guy told me they were handling it at the window.  He even told me they were wearing gloves to handle credit cards.  That seemed a bit of overkill to me, but I appreciated their efforts.  Of course when I picked up the order the guy who took my credit card wasn’t wearing gloves.  Or a mask for that matter.  But then, neither was I.  But I was outside.  I think people around here are beyond ready to just move on and take whatever comes.

I have a question for the ages for all to ponder and weigh in on with the ultimate life answers for me.  When you are putting together a jigsaw puzzle, and you have come to that inevitable part where all the colors are identical (i.e. the blue sky), do you look for specific shapes to match available holes, or do you simply grab the next closest piece and try it in every space on the puzzle?  Now, I know that may be too existential for some to deal with early in the morning, but perhaps as your day progresses and you feel a bit more alert (after a cup of coffee or two), you might be able to give us some pointers.  My eyes are crossing from searching for barely discernable cloud formations.

Jeremiah 17:7 says, “But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him.”

Father, be with the small business that have had to shutter down.  Help them to stay alive and even thrive in the days of opening to come.  Amen.

No comments: