Thursday, April 9, 2020

April 9 – “The Text”


OK … About Tuesday.  I know today is already Thursday, isn’t it?  I’m doing my best to remember what day of the week it is.  All of the usual checkpoints have changed.  Our days used to be defined by where we had to go and when we had to be there.  Now it’s a struggle to remember when Sunday happens.  I’m pretty sure Tuesdays and Thursdays are Randall’s old people shopping days.  I forgot when WalMart’s was; Chris really doesn’t want me going in there, anyway.   I think I have the rest of this week nailed down, though.  Today is Maundy Thursday.  Tomorrow is Good Friday.  Then comes Holy Saturday, followed by Easter Sunday.  Got it.  I think.

So back to Tuesday.  I spent that morning praying for and checking in on people. So far all are doing OK on the Seaside front.  I texted our El Salvador Seasiders, the Passons Family, to see how they are doing.  All this time I had in my head that they were in Costa Rica.  Close, but not quite accurate, I suppose. 

Here was the conversation sequence:
Me: So how are y’all doing?
Them: I got the CORONAVIRUS! (followed by a line of emojis wearing face masks)
Me: Whaaaaat???!!!  Are you serious?
Them: No.  Just kidding.  (pause …)
Them: You got the wrong number.
Me: Oops.  Sorry about that.

I quickly moved the conversation to FaceBook Messenger.  Chris explained that some kid had received his phone number when they left the country.  Hey, the kid sounded like a fun guy to me.  Good sense of humor when receiving a random text.  I hope I can be the same should I ever receive a random text …

Matthew 26:41 says, “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation.  The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”

Father, be with Chris and Heather and their kids down in El Salvador.  Keep them healthy and protected.  Amen.

No comments: