Wednesday, April 29, 2020

April 29 – “Just a chicken”


I went to Randall’s again yesterday.  Hey, it was old folks time again.  I had to make an appearance.  Actually, we needed some groceries, so I volunteered to take the danger upon myself, ever protecting my young bride from the harsh elements.  Since the list was longer than usual, I decided to follow the one-way signs on the floor and visit every aisle.  Most folks were going the right direction.  I did have one encounter with one of the shop-for-you employees.  She was pretty much going where she pleased.  She even admitted being pointed in the wrong direction.  That had confused a couple that was following her around.  When they realized their mistake, they apologized.  I told them to just turn their basket around and pull it through backwards.  They chuckled.  And complied.  I was joking, folks.

My favorite grocery encounter of the day, however, came in front of the tuna fish.  As I searched for the tuna in “water, not oil” (I felt like the James Bond “shaken, not stirred” of the fish world), a lady rounded the corner.  And as she pulled her cart straight again, she was obviously inspecting the contents of my basket. 
“Hmm,” she commented.  “I see you are preparing for a healthy meal this week.  Dr Pepper and Cheetos.” 
Interesting observation, to be sure.  Not to be deterred, I countered with, “Well, I had to add some things to the list my wife gave me.  I’m just showing initiative.”  Pretty snappy comeback, don’t you think?  But she was just as snappy.
She chuckled and quipped in that way only experience as a wife could give her, “Yeah.  Initiative in the wrong direction.”  Ouch.

Last night we took part in one of those drive-by parades people have been organizing.  Except we were the organizers of this one.  And the only participants.  Short parade.  It was fun, though.  We drove by to say Happy Birthday to April.  Even took the truck so I could honk with my three new horns.  As it turned out they were down the street at a friend’s house for dinner.  Nope.  Can’t hide out from us that easily.  Also helps that we happen to know the friends.  In fact their little boy was the one who rode his bike down to let us know where they were.  We drove down in front of their house and April finally showed up in front of the house.  So I honked the Happy Birthday song to her.  I’m pretty sure she could make out the rendering. 

As an extra treat they took us down to their house and we were introduced to the newest members of their family.  They have chickens.  Well, baby chickens.  Chicks.  All different kinds.  Two of them either have Mohawk haircuts or they are victims of the Corona ban on hairdressers.  The other three are different species, but they will eventually earn their keep as egg-layers.  Cailyn put one in each of our hands.  Tiny, fragile creatures.  Mine was a Rhode Island Red.  Now for the point of this story.  I woke up this morning at 4:30 to a dream.  Very short dream.  And in this dream that little chicken fell out of the sky from nowhere and landed at my feet.  That’s all.  Just a chicken at my feet.  No particular meaning assigned to this one.  Other than maybe … it has been a while since we have had fried chicken …

Psalms 56:3 says, “When I am afraid, I will put my trust in you.”

Father, please take care of those little chickens.  Cailyn – and April – are already becoming quite the chicken ladies.  Amen.


No comments: