Sunday, February 9, 2020

February 9 – “Cheap date?”

We went to the annual Sea Isle Chili Cook-Off yesterday.  Kind of our first public appearance since our return from the cruise.  Well, public to the people who attend Seaside regularly anyway.  And that would be not counting WalMart, of course.  Three of the members of Seaside’s praise team were playing a gig for the event, so it was good to see them.  Doug asked his usual, “Where’s my T-shirt?” that he wants to know whenever anyone gets back from a vacation.  In the hands of grandchildren, Doug …

Two different people commented about my bringing Chris to the event as a cheap date.  I didn’t disagree in either case, but I did have an answer.  See, for the previous two weeks I had taken her out to eat at a pretty fancy restaurant – the kind where you have to get cleaned up ahead of time.  And on two of those occasions I even wore a suit.  So I figure I earned a cheap date, right?

Because of the outing we didn’t take an afternoon nap for the first time since we returned.  We have both been pretty exhausted, and Chris has been sick on top of that, so afternoons have been tough.  But walking around the Sea Isle Marina parking lot, tasting chili, sipping Dr Pepper, listening to music, and talking to friends kept us relatively alert. 

And now for the big test.  First Sunday back.  First sermon in two weeks.  Gideon representative on hand to boot.  Here’s to getting back into the swing of things …

Matthew 7:12 says, “So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.”

Father, Please send you Spirit over to Seaside today.  I could sure use his help.  Amen.

No comments: