Monday, February 10, 2020

February 10 – “The dream”

I had a dream last night.  As dreams go, I don’t remember much about it.  I do recall that we were in some foreign country (imaging the inspiration for that one).  Someone stole my wallet and I chased him down and we got into a fight.  I was punching, trying to get him to release the wallet, but it felt like my punches were totally ineffective, like they were happening in slow motion or like my arms were full of lead weights. About that time … Chris woke me up.  Seems I had been … er … “acting out my dream.”  She was the recipient of those inefficient blows.  No wonder they weren’t working.  She is indestructible.  And I never did get my wallet back …

We had a great welcome back to church.  Almost 80 people came to worship.  Along with lots of our regulars, we had numerous new folks.  A couple walked in before the service and found out I was the pastor.  Seems they had left a message on the church answering machine asking if I could perform their wedding ceremony.  I asked when, and they were ready for next weekend.  The only ones expected to be in attendance were the two of them and their dog, who would be wearing a doggie tux.  That should be a classic ceremony. 

Another family wants me to do a baby dedication for their son before they have to move to Dallas.  I baptized Dad not too long ago.  They are deciding whether they want to incorporate the beach or just do the service at the church building. 

As I was chatting with some folks just before we got going, one of our little guys, William, came running up to me and gave me a big hug.  He started apologizing for being late to church.  I assured him that he was here now, so all was well.  His Mom later told me she really appreciates having a church where the pastor actually knows them and where her kids feel like they can run up and give him a hug.  Yep.  I appreciate that, too.

I met a single Dad who was there with his two preschoolers for the first time.  One of our ladies has been inviting him to come for some time.  After church he and his youngsters joined William and his family, as well as some of William’s neighbors, over at our playground for a big impromptu play date.  The Dad and I are supposed to get together some time this week for a talk.  I’m looking forward to getting to know him. 

Other stories abounded on this day of our return.  I saw a group of ladies huddling around another, praying with her and encouraging her.  There was much laughter and lots of feedback during the teaching.  The representative from the Gideons shared his report, and ended up receiving around $400 for that ministry as people left.  We heard a report from our missionary family, the Humphries.  They received the money we sent to help them buy a van, and were very excited.  We got to see pictures.  Most interesting thing about that vehicle?  Heated seats (not bad for Alaska) and a special plug for baby Seth’s breathing machine.  All in all, I’d say it was a good Sunday morning …

2 Corinthians 9:8 says, “And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.”

Father, thank you for joining us yesterday at church.  We could tell that was you.  Amen.

No comments: