Tuesday, February 18, 2020

February 18 – “Two runs, tamale casserole and a three-year-old …”


Sunday afternoon.  I crashed for a while on the couch.  Pretty unashamedly, I might add.  I couldn’t even tell you what was on the television.  When I woke up Chris was nowhere to be found.  Well, at least not at first glance.  I got up to track her and discovered her snoozing away on the bed.  Imagine that.  Sleeping on a bed.  What a concept.  She stirred when I entered the room, so I asked if she was awake enough and of her leg felt up to the trip over to the airport fields to watch Cailyn play some softball.  The aching leg and after-effects of the medication led her to stick around the house, so I headed off for some softball. 

I’ll lead with the bottom line.  Cailyn’s team won.  They’re called the Nitro this year.  The pitcher tossed a no-hitter.  In fact, the only contact the other team made resulted in two weak foul balls.  Sadly, Cailyn’s team only had one hit.  They did hit the ball, though.  Just right at people.  But they made the most of the errors and walks presented to them.  I know they scored at least two runs.  Way to go, Nitro.

We had some little interlopers around the house that night.  By the time I got home the LaMarque cousins had descended.  Kel and Christina were going on a date, so all their kiddos were spending the night in Galveston.  And since they were all here anyway, Cailyn received the inevitable invitation as well.  Nathan and April came over and helped cook some supper for the whole brood.  Great tamale casserole thingie, by the way, April.  We showed Nathan and April our Panama pictures and gave them their souvenirs.  The kids were in and out.  The older ones even stuck around and watched some of the show. 

When bedtime finally arrived we had family worship and the kids departed to their respective claimed spots.  Chris’ leg was really beginning to get sore, but she was afraid to take her medication.  She was worried that she wouldn’t hear it of one of the kids woke up in the night.  I assured her that if such an event occurred, I would take care of it.  She just laughed.  Not sure why.  As it turned out, Ezra slept until 6:30.  He and I spent an hour or so hanging out in the wee morning hours.  Me and the three-year-old.  Finally, someone who gets me …

Philippians 2:3 says, “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit.  Rather, in humility value others above yourselves.”

Father, thanks for those wild and crazy kids we had running around the other night.  They could always use your blessing.  Amen.


No comments: