Saturday, February 29, 2020

February 29 – “Happy Leap Day, or whatever they call it.”


Yesterday was Friday … my “day off.”  That’s always a “maybe,” of course.  Always on call and all that …

We got the day started with our usual Friday communique from Josh.  He checks in on his way home from taking his kids to their Friday co-op school day.  Now before he called this time he sent us a picture of Luke … with a head full of blue hair.  I think he melted down some blue crayons in his Mom’s best pan and then stuck his head into it.  Either that or he convinced Mom and Dad to spray paint it for crazy hair day at school.  Either way, it was so inspirational that Josh is going to offer to do it for Luke’s whole basketball team in the locker room today before their last game of the season.  And Luke wants to maintain the new look for church tomorrow.  Hey, you might want to check the Columbus Avenue Baptist Church live feed for Sunday services.  I hear they may be offering a free spray to anyone who says “Amen” or “Hallelujah.”

It was also grocery day at WalMart.  They seem to be slowly getting stuff into some semblance of order.  Now every row has a designated letter and number.  Makes it easier for the designated shoppers they had to have once they opened the call in your order program.  They do still have a ways to go, though.  Several spots are still in the self-leveling concrete stage …

Next we went to Home Depot.  This one was significant.  It was a major home improvement project purchase.  No, really.  We bought a kitchen sink … faucet.  The one we had started leaking a while back, so Chris has been on the prowl, looking for another.  She thought she found it, too.  But alas, the one she saw on her iPad didn’t show up on her phone when we were in the store.  She found another one, though.  And that was my cue.  It took me a while, but I got the thing installed.  I imagine I’ll feel that one for the next few days …

Last night we hauled all the Sam’s supplies up to the church.  It was actually part of an all-inclusive date night.  We took the supplies in, then headed to a little coffee house in Jamaica Beach called JeMocha Bean.  Cute, huh?  Last night was a packed house.  Jim, our worship pastor was playing with a friend of his from Columbia.  Lots of Seasiders came out to support him.  I had a few great conversations as well.  I met the director of the new crisis pregnancy center in town.  One of the neighborhood ladies introduced me.  Later, as we were preparing to leave, the owner of the coffee house stopped me and introduced himself.  He had heard someone say I was the pastor of the Baptist church in town.  That made me the representative of half of the two churches in the West End in his eyes (Jamaica Beach – West).  As we talked I found out he graduated from Houston Baptist University.  He was amazed to hear that I did too.  “Back in the day” was his reply.  Thanks for that, Cy.  He was there a few years after Josh.  I look forward to seeing how that relationship progresses …

Psalms 90:12 says, “Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.”

Father, be with Cy as he works to get his new coffee shop up and running.  Amen.

No comments: