Thursday, February 6, 2020

February 6 – “Quite the adventure …”


Well, Chris was just not feeling so well all day yesterday, so I volunteered to go to the grocery store for some food.  Since we were going to be gone for two weeks, we cleared out the fridge and pantry before we left.  It was time to replenish the empty cabinets we came home to.  So, grocery shopping by myself.  It became quite the adventure.

And why so much adventure?  Because I went to WalMart, of course.  That is a world of adventure in itself just looking at the people.  But now … oh, now.  It seems they have decided to completely redo the entire footprint of the store.  The shoe department has been replaced by paper goods. Not sure where shoes are now.  No more in-store McDonalds.  That’s where the bakery is going to be.  No idea what will show up in the bakery’s spot.  Clearance clothes are popping up over by the garden center.  And most significant of all, groceries are splattered all over the east end of the store.  So, translation: It is next to impossible to find what you are looking for.  Hence … the adventure is real.  However, being the resourceful house-husband that I am, I managed to find just about everything on Chris’ list.  Fortunately she circled the things we absolutely needed, and I definitely got those.  And I didn’t add much of anything, either.  Just one movie.  Maleficent, part two. 

Back home I got some work done on the sermon for Sunday.  I also connected with the Gideon speaker who is coming to town from San Antonio for their annual convention, and to Seaside for their annual ten-minute speech about their ministry. I wanted to make sure what I taught about matched up a little bit with what he was going to say.  I think we’ll be good.

By the end of the day – after a three-hour nap – Chris seemed to be feeling a little better.  Corey came over to check in on us and to report on his and Brennan’s conditions.  They have been under the weather as well.  Brennan is heading back to school today.  After his talk with Chris I think the both of them are just going to wait out the bug instead of heading to the emergency clinic.  Hopefully they are both on the downhill side of it. 

I decided to give Chris another night with the bed – and her cough - all to herself.  This time the plan was for me to sleep in the yellow bedroom.  It would have worked out fine except for one thing.  Our neighbors were out on their deck talking quite loudly.  And worse yet, one of them had a horrible cough that sounded like it was coming up from their toes.  Once they started into one of the fits, it lasted for long – very long – minutes.  I couldn’t believe they were out there at all, since it was getting really cold.  But there was no way I could get to sleep with all the racket, so I returned to my perch on the couch and snuggled in.  Didn’t even finish one full crossword puzzle before I was out like a light. 

Ecclesiastes 4:12 says, “Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves.  A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.”

Father, now we add Corey to that list of “get well quick’s.”  Grant them all a fast healing.  Amen. 

No comments: