Wednesday, February 26, 2020

February 26 – “Happy birthday, Kel”


Happy birthday to Kel, my eldest son.  It’s been a long time since you first made us parents.  Thanks for that …

I went over to Nathan’s yesterday.  The time had finally come to install on the truck those Christmas presents he gave me.  Well, those and the other things we have ordered since then.  We had headlights and taillight covers and turn signals and side reflector covers and replacement bulbs and of course, the new grille.  It took us a while, as well as a few smashed fingers (par for the course, I suppose), but it looks really great now.  We did uncover something screwy going on with one side, though.  The blinker is going really fast.  That’s the “official” indicator that something is wrong, usually that a bulb is burnt out.  But we checked everything two or three times.  The only thing that shows up happened when we turned the headlights on.  The rear seemed fine, but in front it was like the lights suddenly got brighter – too bright to even detect the blinker.  I’m guessing that might mean some kind of electrical surge is going on.  Guess I’ll ask the mechanic when we take it in to get the horn fixed and the inspection done. 

Next task was certainly a fun one.  I got to burn stuff.  Actually the “stuff” was palm crosses from last year’s Palm Sunday observance.  We use the ashes from that burning for our Ash Wednesday service tonight at 6:30.  I think that was the last item of preparation needed, other than going over the service to get it clearly in my head (never an easy task … with what goes on in my head).

The afternoon was reserved for yard work.  I figured I had a window before it got cold again (I was right.  It’s 54 degrees and dropping.  Wind chill is 46.  Way too cold).  I got the mowing and edging done.  Chris took a break from her quilting to come do some sweeping.  Then we hung up the new box of lights over the back patio.  They really brighten the place up.  I think Chris is happy with it.  And as they say, when mama is happy …

Matthew 5:4 says, “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.”

Father, please give Kel a great day today for his birthday.  Amen.

No comments: